Might have my first SSD going bad

McClintoc

Fully [H]
I turned on my PC just now and a little message popped up (Windows 11) in the lower right corner of my screen saying a storage drive requires my attention. I clicked the message and this came up:

1702147548319.png

This is the storage drive in my main gaming rig. I had to go through my Amazon order history to find it but I bought this back in July 2018 so it's over 5 years old. My question is, is the Windows warning reliable? Has anyone had this message pop up then the drive fail a short time later?

I've never seen a SMART pre-failure warning for an SSD. I would assume it's accurate and you should back up / transfer as soon as practical.

In my experience, failing SSDs usually just disappear from the bus. According to legend, failing SSDs should turn read-only, but I've nevee seen that happen. For spinning drives, pre-failure warnings other than for old age are pretty spot on, although often they warn late: I would replace a spinning drive based on the raw SMART metrics before the drive declares itself failed, but when it triggers, it's definitely a good idea to move any remaining data.

After you sort out your backup situatuon, I'd run CrystalDiskInfo or something to get the detailed info, and post us a screenshot. The drive health info windows shows makes it look like a healthy drive, so I dunno.

HD Sentinel is better for SMART data than CrystalDiskInfo if you're looking to see what your SMART results are.

Ok, I transferred all the stuff on the (failing) storage drive over the main OS drive. The failing drive has just shy of 250 GB of stuff on it and I have just over 500 GB free on the OS drive so I am good there. I just ordered a 1 TB WD Black Gen 4. Should be here tomorrow.

One SSD failed on me.

Once I stupidly bent the pins on 1 TB SSD drive. I "failed" the drive. No way to fix it, for what the drive is worth now.

I've never seen a SMART pre-failure warning for an SSD
Me either, and I have some Gen 3 drives that are way older than 5 yrs, neveranottaproblemo :)
I just ordered a 1 TB WD Black Gen 4. Should be here tomorrow.
Congrats, you will like this drive, as it is one of the fastest around....although I would have (& did recently) went with the 2TB or even 4TB models, but that's just me, since I have a buttload of data to store :)

Me either, and I have some Gen 3 drives that are way older than 5 yrs, neveranottaproblemo :)

Congrats, you will like this drive, as it is one of the fastest around....although I would have (& did recently) went with the 2TB or even 4TB models, but that's just me, since I have a buttload of data to store :)

My main rig in question has a 2 TB Pioneer nvme drive as the OS drive and a 500 GB WD nvme storage drive which is the failing one. The OS drive is a little over 3 years old. When it starts to fail I'll replace it with a 4 TB WD Black.

Days ago, I had a Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA SSD, do the whole read error and not pass SMART test thing (less than a year old).... I RMA'd... waiting for my "new" one.

I had a less than one year old silicon power nvme die a couple months ago. It started acting funny and then just wouldn't boot. Luckily it was on my wife's machine so all that was lost was Amazon browsing history.

I've never seen a SMART pre-failure warning for an SSD. I would assume it's accurate and you should back up / transfer as soon as practical.

In my experience, failing SSDs usually just disappear from the bus.
Ditto, had an early Crucial SSD go bad it just died with no warning. My young, at the time, son's first PC purchase. Crucial wanted to give him a prorated warranty replacement of 20% off his next SSD purchase. I replied and gave them the ol' "I have been using Crucial memory since back in the day and when he asked if I thought the extra cost of Crucial was worth it, I recommended it based on your warranty, so now you're going to let his first PC purchase be a bad choice?" (Longer and more elegant with the other brand name). They gave him a replacement for no cost, it hasn't failed.

Back