Memory upgrade advice needed

Satyrist

Gawd
I'm currently running 512mb (2x256mb) of Mushkin Special Promo Build PC3200 (BH5 2-2-2) on an Abit NF7-S, (Mobile 2500+, at 200x11.5/1.6v) for my LAN gaming rig, using Win2K Professional; The load times and swapfile being hit during gaming has become a bit too much for me to take lately, so I'll be looking to go to 1GB (at the very least) sometime soon.

As BH-5/6 is very difficult to find anyplace that isn't at an extreme price premium, what might be some other options for me to consider?

I may look back at Intel somewhere down the road, or at A64 once it matures a little more...My main question is if, say I picked up some OCZ 35/3700EB DDR now, would I be able to tighten the timings down for my current rig to pc3200 and perhaps higher (as hardware will allow) and use it later for future CPU/Mobo upgrades later?

Or instead, would I be better getting something Intel, and getting ahold of some Adata PC4000+ instead?

I know Mushkin has generally been regarded as best, I'm feeling that what's out there is a touch too rich for my blood is all...Which is why I've been looking at OCZ.

Advice?

Thanks in advance.

pc3700eb will last you a long time as long as you dont overvolt it. ive seen posts of people getting 300fsb with this ram, of course that is very rare, but you should be able to do 250fsb 1:1 easily.

But would it be able to have tighter timings (say more like 2-2-2-11) on the NF7-S+Mobile Barton, was the real question--I've no doubt it would do great if I decided to move over to Intel for the gaming rig.

EB can not do CL2 at all, just to let you know. It can do CL2.5-2-2 as far as the most aggressive capable timings are concerned. CL2 vs. CL2.5 is such a small difference, not many people care.

Back