Memory for Athlon 64 System

randytong

n00b
Good afternoon guys, I'm shopping around for parts (Going to build a new system with 3400+ and MSI K8T800) and was wondering, can anyone reccomend a specific model of memory to get? Links appreciated, thanks for your time :)

I know that this athlon 64 only supports "single channel memory" as opposed to the dual channel that the FX series supports, care to help me elaborate on the difference?

Bandwidth, that's the difference. If SiSoft Sandra Memory Bandwidth scores are your personal fetish, avoid the A64.
Luckily, the A64 memory controller is so efficient that it manages to get impressive numbers out of single channel RAM.
Also luckily, modern games are very sensitive to memory latency, and nothing availible has memory latency numbers as low as the A64.

Mushkin Level II, or any memory module that you can confirm uses Winbond BH-5 chips.

Lostcircuits found compatibility problems with CH-5 chips and the A64's integrated memory controller on at leats one board.

To clarify single channel/dual channel, it's a function of the memory controller. The FX-51 and Athlon 64 have an on-die memory controller (part of the CPU) where as older CPUs have memory controllers on the motherboard, so whether or not you could reap the benefits of dual channel depended on the motherboard chipset. Anyway, memory itself is not single or dual channel. To have dual channel, you would need two sticks of memory (or more) and a memory controller that supports it. The bottom line is that it won't affect you and what kind of memory you are looking for. Personally I have Kingston HyperX PC3200 memory, and I like it.

Originally posted by randytong
I was actually looking at these:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...145-415&catalog=147&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0

I know that this athlon 64 only supports "single channel memory" as opposed to the dual channel that the FX series supports, care to help me elaborate on the difference? thanks again :)

Please don't get that part. If you're going to go with a 3400+, you have to have a gig of ram to keep me from making fun of your poor choices :D

You can buy the matched sets if you want, but you don't have to- its usually a few bucks more cost effective to buy a gigpack over 2x512 single packs.

Ive personally used CORSAIR, GEIL, MUSHKIN, and KINGSTON in a ASUS K8T800 board, just keep swapping and rebooting in a system i built for a guy and there was no problems with any of this ram, as far as the best ram i usally stick with CORSAIR its never let me down for the last 3 years thats all i will buy.

That Asus board will post with almost any DDR ram. But keeping the XP or 2k hive happy is hard to do on that Asus...my CorsairXMS3200 isn't like...the SPD timings are read wrong. Make sure with the AMD64 KT800 boards to MANUALLY set your timings even if you don't want to overclock. I've been stable and the hive hasn't pooped since I manually set it all.

Originally posted by laws_69
That Asus board will post with almost any DDR ram. But keeping the XP or 2k hive happy is hard to do on that Asus...my CorsairXMS3200 isn't like...the SPD timings are read wrong. Make sure with the AMD64 KT800 boards to MANUALLY set your timings even if you don't want to overclock. I've been stable and the hive hasn't pooped since I manually set it all.

I just did that on someone's K8V on Weds..... i did 2-3-3-7 @ 2.7 V, all issues then went away

Was he having hive failure all the time?

I knew it was memory when I got a hive failure on the first reboot of Win2k installation (the one before you actually get to use the desktop).

Originally posted by laws_69
Was he having hive failure all the time?

I knew it was memory when I got a hive failure on the first reboot of Win2k installation (the one before you actually get to use the desktop).

File copy errors were one of the symptoms. Dropping an already installed version of W2K would corrupt files left and right, plus kill mouse and keyboard support.

Back