Melting Point

eh.. dunno.. a heat gun would do it though. not sure of the exact temp with out knowing exactly what kind of plastic and other matrials are mixed in with the plastic.

hmm...i guess this is one of those things where i am going to need "guenna pigs" to figure it out...

my plan was because of my limited area and how often i paint i would make a movable heat box to cure paints while they dry...like at a auto body shop after the paint a car...

only this is on a much smaller scale...it'll be big enough to cover one of my largest case pannels...it will be completely enclosed and collapsable by hinges rails and latches, handle on top, after i figure out what the melting point is i'll have a sensor that'll have an alarm that will go off when it gets too hot and a door on a hinge so i can peek inside to see if its going well...i'll also set up a venthallation system with a old AT power supply and some case fans with open/closable fan grilles...

i figure i would use a few light bulbs to get the tempature up...not necessarily heat lamps but a few 60-120W light bulbs...if i have enough it'll heat up in there and stay warm...

and when i'm not painting i can use it to hatch CHICKENS!!!

Id assume around 200 degrees fahrenheit you can make most thermoplastics turn into an amorphous solid. Though it all depends on the polymer.

goto home depot and buy the double 500 watt halogen work light and just use that works like a charm and dont get your stuff to close, 3 feet away is about right and i think paint will bubble before the plactic melts.

might be obvious... but use flters on those fans for the drying case .. you don't want dust all over your freshly painted parts

I use my oven on warm to help cure fresh paint. I have found that if you leave the oven on as opposed to just getting it warm and turning it off, plastics will become pliable. (amorphous like someone already mentioned)

Originally posted by Marklar
goto home depot and buy the double 500 watt halogen work light and just use that works like a charm and dont get your stuff to close, 3 feet away is about right and i think paint will bubble before the plactic melts.

you use that for bending plexi? or am i way off base here.

Originally posted by siegecraft4
might be obvious... but use flters on those fans for the drying case .. you don't want dust all over your freshly painted parts

i pan on them being exhaust only fans

and i would use the oven but the oven is too small for alot of the peices

Back