Melted 9800 Pro 128

PacFu said:
My purpose here is not to bash ATI, but I lose respect for the company whose inneficiency in a design seems to justify $350 for a piece of hardware. I hear alot of people complaining about nvidia's dual slot cooling solutions, but you know what? Think about it, you can't melt plastic in boiling water (100C), so how much higher was it?? You can't tell because there was not temp monitor until the XTs. If a video card gets above 100C, I want to see something that is going to make sure its cool. You say is the direction of rotation not blade? True, but wrong. Take a piece of cardboard, slant it like \\ and move it counterclockwise. You feel resistance. Do the same thing but slant it // again moving counterclockwise. Hardly any resistance, because the direction of blades is cutting through air when slanted like // instead of pushing it when like \\. ATI stole my business away from nVidia (who stole it away from 3dfx) when they released the 9800 series. Shortlived because I won't buy ATI again. Yea, ATI will replace it, but do you honestly think I'm going to put another 9800 Pro in my machine after this? I wasnt home when the fan melted off...what would have happened if the heat fried my motherboard? There was absolutely NO failsafe when it went out...just a lockup, still receiving voltage. To me, thats not safe.
Who cares if they lost a customer?? And espeascially a customer who doesnt clean their hardware!

Allow me to suggest a new way of displaying your sig ohgod.

---------------

Abit AN7 with v 15 bios, 2500+ at 2.3, XMS Series Ram at 430, Buillt by ATI Radeon 9800XT at 450/400, Seagate 80 gig SATA hard drive, 8 case fans, Thermalright SLK 947-U.

and

1.8 Mobile 64 3000+, 512mb ram, 60gig hard drive, ATI 9700.

Building Soltek EQ3801, Athlon 3000+ 1.8, 1 gig corsair XMS, 2 Segate Hard-Drives in Raid 0, ATI X800 Pro (hopefully will mod into a X800XT-PE)

---------------

There ya go man. Would be a little less big....ya know?

ohgod said:
Who cares if they lost a customer?? And espeascially a customer who doesnt clean their hardware!

Your sig is huge and I run my desktop at 1600x1200.

novaflare said:
Rofl sounds bout like my old k6 it ran for days after the loss of its fan. Id never have known except i decided to tare it all down for cleaning like i did once a month. Well it would seem that the last time i cleaned it little less than month previously i accidently un did my cpu fan. It had been running for close to a month with no fan at all the fan melted and drooped on the heat sink. That cpu should have been dead but i guess do to my duct work i made for my case was enough air flow to keep it just at the brink of burnign up.

Heh this thread is so getting derailed its going to become the offical unoffical fan failign horror story thread :p

The heatsink fell off of my old P133. It kept running quite well, but kept making buzzing noises occasionally. If I kicked the case, it would go away for a while. Turned out it was the heatsink hitting the case, dangling by it's power wire. Got out the blue silicone, and slapped it back on. :D

advanced101101 said:
I always thought that the alloable max was 10 lines, in the rules

That would be correct though it is not my place to scorn him.

advanced101101 said:
I always thought that the alloable max was 10 lines, in the rules
That is correct. The limit on sigs is 10 lines at 800x600 resolution, as viewed on IE6. And also, the limit is 15 words per line regardless of their length.

Back