Maxtor drive = IBM deathstar?

I've normally had pretty good success with Maxtor drives, but I've had one computer that has now had two identical Maxtor drives fail prematurely. After looking closely at the second failed drive I saw on the sticker on the top of the drive there is an association to IBM warranty details on the drive stating "IBM warranty void if removed" followed by an IBM p/n number and fru number. I never really looked closely before at the hard drives. The drive specifically is a 40 gig Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 drive.
I never noticed this on all the other maxtor drives I've dealt with. Is this common with Maxtor? Are these drives related to the IBM "deathstar" drives?

Maxtor hard drives are garbage for the last year their quality control fell through the floor.

Western Digital quality has been sliping as well, unfortunatly.

I buy Mostly Seagate and Samsung hard drives, No failures and 3 year warranties make me a happy camper.

I've never had problems with my Maxtor drives...

You just probably got a few bad apples out of the bunch, or they could've been mishandled, etc.

In one year i replaced the same 80 gig maxtor drive 14 times. Finally they just sent me a check with a letter saying they were sorry for my hassle.

Mister Natural: if you bought that drive from anywhere online except IBM itself, it sounds like a system pull. That drive doesn't have a Maxtor warranty since it was an OEM drive sold to IBM. The place that sold it to you is the only place the warranty is/was valid.

When IBM went out of the hard drive business, they sold off the designs and product to Hitachi.

i had a 80 gig and 20 gig seagate and both died in a year. never seagate again. no problem with maxtor for me.

This was a white box built by Aopen which are the folks I go through for custom built boxes. The box features a Promise raid card in it and dual hard disks mirrored. This is for an automated truck rack delivery system at one of our fuel terminals. It's important the things stays running or product doesn't get delivered to trucks you see on the road hauling gasoline and asphalt. I've had 5 or 6 of these built by Aopen and this is the only one I've had problems with.
Fortunately I had a third hard drive sitting inside the box just in case there was another failure. Now I need to order another drive just in case this occurs again. One of the vendors I order through CDW has the exact same drive, but I'm kinda leery about buying another one of these drives. I'm thinking of getting something else. I'd like to get the same drive because of the mirroring issue but it is not a requirement.

Back