Mac Power switch question

does any one know how those switches on the mac huge screen lcd and i think the g5's work. for those of you who dont know, they just have a flat plexi panel with something behind it so you just touch the plexi in a certain place and it switches on and off. it doesnt seem like a pressure sensor, but maybe it is. how could i emulate this?

im pretty sure its some kind of touch sensor... there dosent seem to be any phiscal motion, it just detects when you touch it... like those lamps you just tap... dunno

we've got pressure switches like that on our xerox 4890 machines at work, for which we have a few dead systems for parts. I think I'm going to talk our service rep out of a few of these tomorrow.

calm down little man, i know its addictive ;)

yeah there are no moving parts. do you think that there would be another way to emulate this effect. i cant think of anything. hey if you get a hold of any of those switches you wanna let me know?:D thanks

You could make a capacitance switch(touch switch), but you would need a metal plate that you touch. I don't know how they do it with the plastic though.

"A touch-sensitive power button on the front of the display gives you fingertip control of the power on, sleep and wake functions." -- from the Apple Site
From my experience it just looks like a touch-sensitive switch behind plexi, the plexi doesn't look very thick so it would be able to "feel" you touch the corresponding area. If you find a touch switches you could just sand down the area alittle. Do they even sell touch switches?

If the technitian lets me, I'll probably come home tonight with anywhere between 4-6 of these switches. If I have a few extra I'll think about spreading the wealth.

ASTROdog: if you do lmk! ( I would love one of those to mod my sff with)

i've got a link of a switch at home a touch switch at home at works through plastic....send it when i get there

Originally posted by ASTROdog
If the technitian lets me, I'll probably come home tonight with anywhere between 4-6 of these switches. If I have a few extra I'll think about spreading the wealth.
Cool I would love to get one of those!!

He only let me have 2, but I've got them, power and reset switches are covered. They're opaque to so maybe I can hide a LED inside. Pictures to come tonight when I get home.

no case, they came off a xerox 4890 industrial laser printer.

abm.jpg

I figure there's a power and reset switch there, and considering the next case is plexy, imma go for it. If it turns out they work (I'll try them with a dead mainboard by this weekend) I'll put up the phone number of our supplier, D & R products (where we buy our spares from) and see if they know where to get some. I only was able to get 2 of them and I've got plans.

damn im trying to think of an alternative and that capacitive touch sensing looks kinda cool but i dont know how id power a controller whild the pc is off. hmmm i cant find anything else on google either. gah!:p

If you need power when system is off - pull it from the Wake-on Lan header.

Back