Looking for White Papers on Temporal Anti-Aliasing

CompMage

Gawd
Hay anyone got a like to some real nice nit and gritty on Temporal AA. New toy and I like to do my homework. It seems to look a little better. But some down and dirty with the new drivers is always fun.

i think it does something like make it look kinda like 4x when you are actually doing 2x,theres a thread about it here , it explaines it nice and easy, you need high fps to note a diff tho

yea when i was playing wolf:et with it on, the AA would look like it turned off or got crappy if my fps went below 60, but when its above 60 it looks really nice.

Temporal AA neither helps or harms performance. When you're fps are high enough, it will appear like you have higher AA (which it is higher AA as long as the fps stay in the highs) and when your fps drop to lows, it looks like there is major flickering going on which is a negative for image quality.
So if your machine is very fast and always gives you high fps, then temporal AA should improve your image quality, whereas if your system is slow and choppy then temporal AA will simply make your poor performing system even less enjoyable.
Does V-Sync give a huge hit in fps (does vsync harm performance)? Sadly in many cases, yes Vsync is required to be on in order for temporal AA to work, and unless your fps are at or higher then your monitor's hz level, you will get horrible fps hits that are fractions of your fps (such as 33% drop in fps, or 50% drop in fps, etc). I emplore you to search futuremark and google to learn what vsync is and how it works, as too many people have opinions (and sadly many review sites) that give wrong data that is based on flawed setups.

Temporal AA will never lower your fps, but it could make your image quality worse if your fps are low, likewise Vsync can harm fps in certain circumstances but after you've grabbed your coffee and allocated 15 minutes into learning how it all works, you can setup a triple buffering vsync enabled gaming experience with conditional temporalAA (which turns itself off once ur fps drop to a certain number) so that you'll always get the highest fps possible with no image tearing with the highest quality possible (why the hell didnt microsoft/nivida/ati make all this stuff default

I have noticed on my LCD monitors I don't get the bad effects when I have low FPS with Temporal AA enabled (I have changed the threshold so it stays on even if my frames dip below 60).

CompMage said:
Hay anyone got a like to some real nice nit and gritty on Temporal AA. New toy and I like to do my homework. It seems to look a little better. But some down and dirty with the new drivers is always fun.
No white paper for you but how about the below?

Temporal MultiSampling AA = Jittered blending of adjacent pixels from current in progress and previous pre-processed temporal data samples.

Try this link for extra, just add to the above - randomized jittered index offsets - for ATI specific implementation.

I had explained another implementation in Nov/99 at Beyond3D forum, you might try to search for that one over there, the thread might still be stuck around somewhere.

Back