looking for coolest chip

cmbehan

n00b
I've been out of the new hardware buying game for what seems like forever (18 months) and have not paid enough attention to the new products....so I thought I would bring my inquiry to the experts here.

I'm building a Home Theater PC and have a small case to work with. I'm stuck looking for a MicroATX board and chip, but I'm not sure which chip to go with. I'd like to get something that runs as cool as possible, as H2O cooling is not an option, and I'd like to use as few fans as possible with this project.

What's the coolest running chip these days for a reasonable price? Bartons? P4c? A64? And am I going to be able to find a good MicroATX board for all of these?

Thanks!!!

cmbehan

i use a barton 3200+ and a Shuttle SN45-G at stock voltages it runs
31ºc idle
35ºc load

Originally posted by Geno
31ºc idle
35ºc load

What is the room temperature? My 2600 runs similar temps but that is in a full tower with an SLK-900A on it. AFAIK SFF computers run HOT because of the lack of air space.

Normal temp around here is 85ºF just because i have more than one computer on at a time. (it's about a 10º difference when you walk outside of this room)

31ºc idle
35ºc load

what hsf you running on that?

i dunno about that my 3200+ stayed around 41 idle 45 load with a swiftech mcx462+ and about 37-42 with a jet 7

Well, if you will think about VIA for a second, here is a really nice multi-media mainboard and proc thats only 17cm^2. rediculessly small, and still an x86 platform with multimedia capabilities. I plan on using one of these for an HTPC in the near future.

VIA EPIA MII Mainboard

I've thought about the EPIA boards, but would like something with an AGP slot so that I can use my Radeon 9500 w/ component video-HDTV adapter and hook it upto my HDTV set.

If space limits me enough, I might en up going the EPIA route.

So the Barton core chips don't run ridiculously hot? That's great to know. Will they overheat if I'm only using an active heatsink and one 80mm fan in back of my case? (not much space or airflow)

yeah one of those via eden mobos with a gig cpu in it with a coolmaster case that looks a stero reciever and about 500gbs of h/d space would make a bad azz htpc

Originally posted by kllrnohj
what hsf you running on that?

i'm using the ICE setup that came with the shuttle.. heat pipes in all. it's a poor cooler, and quite loud. :-\

i'm using the ICE setup that came with the shuttle.. heat pipes in all. it's a poor cooler, and quite loud. :-\

What are you talking about? cooler is very good. The problem is not with the cooler, but because there is a lot of heat confined to a small space. Most other coolers would perform similarly/would not fit into the shuttle properly. If you replace the fan (as I have with a Panaflo... I want to get a Noiseblocker S3 buts its hard to find/expensive) its not that loud and it does a decent job cooling. (40-42C Idle 46-47 Load) I have the fans throttled down with speedfan (4%) so its really quiet, more so when I get my Vantec vibration dampener. Now for that PSU

Anyways, if you want a good HTPC, VIA Epia's are really good, run very cool and are really small. Good choice to go with that. Also, think about getting a CF card to have boot stuff and turn off HDD when not in use (i know shorten's life span but its just so quiet off).

I'd say a 1700+ tbred B DLT3C because they run stock 1.5v which is really low. I dont think HTPCs need that much processor power, and this one will probably the most cool running one you can find. They are built on the smallest process, use the least voltage, and run on a low clock frequency.

I really like the mb darktiger pointed out. I like the fact that it is a pentium-M processor which means small/low power/low heat but with a good punch. I, however, do not like the article. I dont care that much for high quality pictures. Although nice, what I really want to know is benchmarks, speed comparisons to like the M or CL10000 via'a, pricing, availability and WHERE I can get it. My wife has given me the go-ahead to build a computer for her to use in the kitchen, and I am thinking about building an "in-drawer" mini-itx with a flop-down undercabinet flatscreen. I saw the Toaster-PC on the website but thats been done before.... :( Maybe a cerial box PC or something... hmmmmm... corn flakes... mmmmmmmmm

using a dltc 1700+ locked in @ 17x multiplier 2261mhz, in a shuttle box. 1.625 volts locked in on it. It always has F@H running. Leadtek expert TV card. You dont have to run in the 30's chips are stable in the 50's and 60's. Mine's @ 57c no problems for 6 months straight 24/7. Funny thing is, it's my most stable rig!!!

Are you using a true shuttle?? Starts up loud, but fans are supposed to adjust to heat if you have it plugged into the MB. cut out the exhaust holes in the back. that's your noise.

i think you should get one of those VIA EPA boards or whatever, with the built in 1ghz chip that runs w/ a near passive cooler or whatever (i assume your not going for super high power)

applebred duron is quick and runs pretty cool, from what i've read. only an eden setup would run cooler (assuming we're talking about using quiet aircooling solutions).

My server I just finished building is now running, it idles at around 28C-30C on stock cooling. Its a Celly 2.0ghz, with one exhaust fan and its VERY quiet. the exhaust is running at less than 2k rpms, and the HSF is running at less than 2k rpms as well.

I seem to be repeating myself a lot and I think I'm coming off as an intel fanboy.

But I'd give it another month for when the Prescotts hit the shelf. Then wait for the reviews to make your decision on whether AMD or Intel is the better road to take.

I just don't like to see people make purchasing decisions then be disappointed when only 2weeks goes by and the next group of new stuff comes out. It happened to me, and I was p . i . s . s . e . d.

So I try to inform as much as possible, even if beating the dead horse :)

Back