Logitech Z680 vs Creative Megaworks 550 THX

peltman78

Limp Gawd
I am looking at buying a new set of speakers for my computer as the sub on my old ones blew out and have narrowed my choice down to these to options.

However I have heard negative things about both of these speaker sets that I was hoping people could confirm or deny for me.

For the logitechs I have heard horrible things about the speakers hissing even when not turned up to loud volumes. I have also heard that they do not sound as good as the megaworks set.

For the megaworks I have heard that they sound good for listening to music but when watching movies or playing games they do not have enough power and the sound comes out fairly dull. (Sounded like a load of shit to me when I read it but I really don't know much about speakers).

Prices for the two sets are Megaworks 288 cdn, Logitech 400 cdn.

So can anyone confirm or debunk these rumors.

Thanks

I just went through the same decision a few weeks ago. I chose the Z680s mostly because of their features (Digital, analog, and a phono input on the front, hardware decoders, wireless remote, good power, uses regular speaker wire, etc). I also wanted to use my digital out and the MW 550s don't have digital in.

It also depends on your budget. If you can afford the Z680s, I'd say go for them. They are more versitile. The terrible hiss that you read about in most early reviews has been fixed. Yes there still is a slight hiss from the center channel, but you have to put your ear three inches away from the speaker to hear it (seriously - it's not a problem). Actually both sets will hiss when you first look them up because they must be broken in. My satellites hissed in the beginning, but now they are fine. Your computer should drown out any hiss from it anyway, and if it doesn't then turn them off - that's what the wireless remote is for.

Sound quality with the Z680s is great and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There are no mid-range problems or high-range problems. The bass very responsive and powerful. Yes, there are better speakers (the Klipsch 5.1 Ultras) but anyone who is not an audiophile will be very pleased. I use my system to watch movies and TV, listen to music, and play games and these speakers do everything very well. They can get very loud (or very soft) as well. Even at half volume my walls shake and tremors travel through the house walls (depending on the type of sound).

The MW 550s are supposed to sound very good as well. If you plan to use the analog inputs you could get those and save some money. I'm not sure about the "dull sound" claim, but they do have a lot of power. Not as much as the Z680s but enough to rumble the room.

Back