Live CD gaming?

just wondering why this hasn't been used yet. seems like you could get much more out of your system by bypassing the bulk OS, so why haven't developers designed games that boot? there would be some bottle necks w/ drive speed, but no more so than a console. and most of us have 1gig of ram or more, so a ramdrive could really help w/ load times.and you could store your specific drivers in a certain folder on your hard drive so you'd always have them as current. they could even integrate a simple browser so you can surf ingame. my boot time is only like 20 seconds, so a restart after i finish playing is no big deal. seems like drivers is the only iffy part, but for people like us its no problem. what details am i missing?

One of the main things about PC gaming that i like is not having to put a disc in everytime I want to play a game. ;)

they'll never do this now because of their fear of pirates. It would be pretty difficult for a company to stop people from just making an image of a game. But then again making an image of the game would up the speed limitation to the harddrive speed. Maybe game companies can release their own image programs with built in copy protection, you could then buy the image on disc at stores or even download them. The image programs could be very simple OS's that you would boot into on startup and would have a minimum of system resources used. the downsides would probably be the expense of both the games and all computer hardware because different drivers would have to be optimized for every "OS". The copy protection would also be cracked or emulated and then we'd be back to square one.

http://www.xbox.com

Why not just get a console if that's what you want? One of the things I prefer about PC gaming over console gaming is that I'm able to do a few things at once, and quickly, all from one location. I can be playing a game, while occasionally alt tabbing out to talk to someone, and then stop and work on a report for a bit to only play a different game in a few hours without fooling around with CDs/DVDs or rebooting.

Quake 4 doesn't need windows :) but you would need a DVD to fit the game along with the OS. That and who ever made the image, the first pak file, along with cdkey can't be included, but if you can have the user point to the files on the drive (mounted read only) it could use the pak file, cdkey, and even configs, that have already been generated (even maps that have been downloaded)

Sorta like dreamcast but with a HDD, dreamcast used a stripped down version of windows that included just the Direct X goodies for gaming and basic operations.

I wouldn't want to restart my computer just to play a game. AIM has to close, any work I have has to go away, can't fold in the background, wastes time, etc.. I could buy a console if I wanted that.

EA cant get the color of names right in bf2, i hardly trust them to code the kernal to an os

corrosive23 said:
there was a ut2003 demo that was like that. It ran on a stripped down linux kernel.

Was that the 64bit one?

I seem to recall sombody releasing a couple of OS +game discs around then, it might have been AA though.

Back