Lite-on 411s/451s to 811s/851s info blackout

AAjax

[H]ard|Gawd
As there has been much talk about overclocking the 4x dvdrw drives to 8x I have noticed that many sites have instituted a defacto blackout of this information. I understand the potential for hoseing your drive but this type of information has been free flowing on previous models and like situations with other manufacturers drives.
Has anyone else noticed this? Are my web searching skills lacking (more than likely)
It would be a bummer if this is the shape of things to come in the hardware modification world :(

Jax

There's not a blackout. A few people have forced the flash and unsurprisingly it didn't work. If someone were to do a successful flash, it would be all over the place.

people are reporting successful results now but still with no linkage :(

Originally posted by AAjax
people are reporting successful results now but still with no linkage :(
Where have you seen that? Link please.

Search the atomicmpc.com.au forums, for posts by a guy called Zebra. I've got his method, it works well, but please DON'T PM me for it, he's releasing a flash tool for this in the near future.

Geez, that was a long thread on atomic. No summary either. :mad:

So the reason for the "blackout" seems to be that the method for upgrading the 401/411 (and possibly the 451) required an internal LiteOn EEPROM modification utility that was leaked. LiteOn threatens the web site admins when information regarding that utility is posted. I've seen that on 2 sites.

Zebra is the man, though. The instructions and hacked firmware (checksum modification) were available privately through email request before. The "Polish" site also has the hacked firmware available for download, but you have to register with the site to download the post attachments.

Today is the first time I've seen the patcher and hacked firmware available on public download sites. I still don't think this was really a "blackout". The patches available before last week had problems and it was easy to mess up the drive. It's not as easy now to mess up, but it's still possible and it's not too hard to recover. Today marks the first time that anyone can download the 2 files required, burning stability has improved a lot and it's easy for the average Joe to patch the drive.

Places that don't allow hacked firmware to be mentioned will still not allow those firmware files to get posted (you know which sites I'm talking about). The 811 patcher should be fine to discuss and download now since it's not the internal LiteOn utility. I think that just in the last couple of days there was anything to finally get excited about.

I'll flash my 411S when I get the backup procedure down. It kinda makes the cheap 811S drive I bought yesterday useless if the patch works. Good thing I haven't opened it yet.

Originally posted by pxc
LiteOn threatens the web site admins when information regarding that utility is posted. I've seen that on 2 sites.

Liteon has not threatened anyone. Too many people have wrecked their drives because they don't understand what they're doing with the tool. No site feels good about helping people wreck their drives even if it is their own fault.

Originally posted by dhc014
Liteon has not threatened anyone. Too many people have wrecked their drives because they don't understand what they're doing with the tool. No site feels good about helping people wreck their drives even if it is their own fault.
Yes they have. It's even in the atomic thread referenced in an earlier post. I just read it this morning (about 70 of the last 97 pages).

CDFreaks is being babies about it because they don't want the internal Lite-On utility discussed and they don't want people ruining their drives. One guy wrecked his drive and returned it, and the mod had a hissy fit about it.

Originally posted by pxc
One guy wrecked his drive and returned it, and the mod had a hissy fit about it.

Well, at least you're talking about me to my "face"... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by pxc

CDFreaks is being babies about it because they don't want the internal Lite-On utility discussed and they don't want people ruining their drives. One guy wrecked his drive and returned it, and the mod had a hissy fit about it.

You are really out of the loop, aren't you? The creator of the internal Lite-On utility is a Lite-On employee, who's been in trouble with Lite-On ever since he released the tool, because of it's EEPROM modding ability. He's requested cdfreaks not to allow discussion of this tool there, since he may get fired from Lite-On if it happens. They are just acceding to his request, and rightly so. Also, you can screw up your drive pretty badly if with the tool, so CDFreaks will NOT take any responsibility for that.

:mad:

Guys....dhc014 is correct here!

Concerning the threat made by Liteon and the information blackout

The information was hidden for a couple of reasons. The threat made via liteon was not true. It was used to hose off the situation and calm some (rather flamable) personalities down. Its intention was NOT...and I repeat NOT to hurt Liteon in any way. It was to STOP PEOPLE screaming silly things @ the top of their lungs concerning overclocking - hence making our lives all the more difficult for OCing.

i) Users were becoming too abusive, frenzied and eagre for something that was not yet ready for the world to see

ii) People were practically shouting these things at the top of their lungs so the whole world could here them, posting nonsensical EEPROM hacks, firmware mod's etc.....damaging gear.

So, sorry Liteon for that, we had your best interests at heart, sorry to those that were doing the right thing - we just needed that blanket of safety to stop things leaking and getting far too hot.

Originally posted by TechHead
He's requested cdfreaks not to allow discussion of this tool there, since he may get fired from Lite-On if it happens. They are just acceding to his request, and rightly so. Also, you can screw up your drive pretty badly if with the tool, so CDFreaks will NOT take any responsibility for that.

Sorry I took cdfreaks at their word about the "liteon threat" and they were lying. My mistake. :rolleyes: Still doesn't change the fact that the mod at cdfreaks is throwing a hissy fit.

The patcher.exe set of tools is a much better fix than was available earlier and I finally did the mod on my 411S. DVD-Rs burn correctly and 8x DVD+R burning is also working very nicely with the 2 RICOHJPNR01 discs I tested.

Back