Linux?

diablo111

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering if there are any fellow open source fanatics here?

On my test system, I'm running a quintuple boot:
Win2k Pro
Fedora Core 2
SuSE 9.1
Slackware 10.0
PC Linux OS

Anybody else running a Linux box? If so, what distro?

I use Gentoo Linux exclusively, I really don't see the need to use multiple distros.

*psst, there's a Linux subforum. :)

BillLeeLee said:
I use Gentoo Linux exclusively, I really don't see the need to use multiple distros.

*psst, there's a Linux subforum. :)

Woops...could a mod move this to the appropriate venu?

As for the muliple distros...it is on my test system. That way I can test hardware and various problems on different platforms...plus it's kind of fun ;)

yes - I am obssesed w/ linux , just not very good - it is all I try and tinker with on my spare time and tried even looking for some Linux clubs around my home town/university.

Like to talk in person with other fellow Linux users.

Once I loaded Linux - I never though about going back to Windows - just sucks since I am also a gamer.

I keep a XP machine around to throw all my games on :rolleyes:

Out of my group of CS friends and friends in general, I'm the only one who runs Linux. My CS buddy at RIT has barely heard of it, has never used Unix or Linux. I'm getting a friend who goes to my school into Linux, but I have to help him out with major problems with his slackware install...

By the way, I'm converting my old Dell 8100 to a Slackware 10.0 box, just gotta back up some more data and it's good to go for my new CVS/NFS server. :D

And on yet another note, when I was doing some Linux kernel coding, I worked under SuSE in my school's Linux lab. The machines were running old old kernels though, from the 2.2.x tree, when at the time the latest stable kernel was 2.4.19, and 2.6 was only a month or two away from release.

I just finished my Linux+ and Advanced Linux Server Admin....now, I'm an addict...I just can't get enough!

i use slackware 10, although gentoo's portage is fun for a while.. but it gets large after a while.. those old source files add up. I mainly use linux for servers, but slack 10 is pretty sweet for a desktop too. Got my hp printer running, and now working on getting my wife used to openoffice instead of office.. for some reason she doesn't like xmms.. she says it is "mean " looking.... guess i need a flowery skin or something

I am an MIS major over at texas tech.. and everyone is like OMG asp and .net ... microsoft this and microsoft that... i am one of the few people that do most of my assignments in php and mysql. it is refreshing to see other ppl that actually use linux.

what's the point in having more than 1 distro?
If you're learning how to use each I guess its alright, but you won't be using the others that much, if at all...
what you could actually do is make a /boot, /home, /root, and others if you want so that they are shared between the distros, save space and makes it somewhat convenient

I remember that one guy that had like 100 different OSes on his system, that was kinda cool i guess

slackware all the way :) Started with it and stuck with it since, I have tried red hat and mandrake but didn't like them.

I am working on putting gentoo on an old computer just to try it out...

Back