Linux Tutorials??

Gimli

Limp Gawd
I was interested in learning how to use linux but not sure how to go about it. Anyone know any good sites or references to begin with. I feel pretty lost, haha.

Gimli said:
I was interested in learning how to use linux but not sure how to go about it. Anyone know any good sites or references to begin with. I feel pretty lost, haha.

*blink*

You may want to go buy a book. Going cold from a forum is... well... painful.

I learned through doing. I knew the basic shit like ls, cd, etc. from DOS days (transpose dir to ls), and when i had something i needed to do, I'd hunt for a howto. Howtos nowadays are so complete that you really don't need many other references.

Read up at the Linux Documentation Project. Although yes, I would probably recommend a book. I'll try to get you more links, but all my good bookmarks are on my Linux partition, which I am not in right now.

http://www.tldp.org

I cut my teeth on a Red Hat 7.1 Bible
Another good way to start, if you are willing to dive into it is go read the gentoo docs and get the isos. I wouldn't normally reccomend it to someone just getting started, but it is definitely a learning experience.

I know compaq at one time had a nice linux tutorial on their site with a virtual cli, if I am not mistaken, but I can't find the link anymore

I found this
It's for RH8.0, but it may still prove useful

You just have to dive in and do it. I have'nt found any good tutorials that were easy to read or made much sense. It seems the linux gurus who write them have fogotten what it's like to be a noobie just starting out in linux coming from windows.

All of the documentation I have come across is either poorly written, out of date or difficult to follow.

It would be nice if someone could right up a step by step comparison/guide for those of us coming over from Windows to make the transition easier.

That's the problem. Everybody expects it to be like windows.
Almost every command has a man page, and a help prompt.
man <command>
command -h
command --help
Most of the time those will tell you all you need to know

Basics
cp - copy
mv - move
rm - remove(delete)
ls - list directory
cd - change directory
. - refers the your current directory
.. - refers to the parent directory of your current directory
chown - changes user and group ownership
chmod - changes permissions
pwd - show current directory(print working directory)
more less or cat - show you contents of a file
[ctrl]+c - kills something you just ran from a command line
[ctrl]+[alt]+F[1-8] - changes terminals for more logins
su -switch user
sudo - do as another user
ps - get running proceses
df - disk free
du - disk usage
vi, nano, pico, emacs - CLI editors

remember any of these with the man or help will give you an idea of the flags.

That'll get you started if you're in the dark.

Back