Linux question for you linux junkies out there

M0rph3us

2[H]4U
ok so i have never installed linux before and i want to know the most user friendly dist to install so i don't fux everything up...:). Right now i am DLing knoppix for the shear fact of CD boot i think thats cool and i am also DLing mandrake but if you guys could refer a good beginner linux dist for me to use it would be greatly appreciated.

Mandrake and Knoppix are by far the easiest. When you grow up some try out Slackware, and Gentoo.

I'd recommend SuSE or Fedora because I don't really like Mandrake for some reason.

The newest "sarge" branch of debian is getting pretty easy, they are testing their new graphical installer. And knoppix is based on debian.

I've had bad luck with the new Debian installer...

Of course, I'm doing installs multiple times per week and I'd used a lot of the betas (beta-4 was particularly bad; one of the base packages was changed in such a way that b4 just -wouldn't- finish an install) and was often told "use the dailies" which, unfortunately, weren't on my local debian mirror... +(

Once it's installed, things are smooth.

ameoba said:
I've had bad luck with the new Debian installer...

Of course, I'm doing installs multiple times per week and I'd used a lot of the betas (beta-4 was particularly bad; one of the base packages was changed in such a way that b4 just -wouldn't- finish an install) and was often told "use the dailies" which, unfortunately, weren't on my local debian mirror... +(

Once it's installed, things are smooth.
What exactly was the package you had a problem with? I have installed beta 4 on 4 different machines without problems.

I would do a HD install of knoppix.... that's how i learned what i know... in fact I still use it on my laptop.

It's the easiest way to get sid on your computer..

Back