Linux on my Laptop

Kroz

2[H]4U
Hello,

I have played with linux off and on for years now but have never really gotten into it (not much past the install...But I have decided to give it another chance. I am trying to decide on Mandrake or Debian but I have used RedHat back when it was redhat. My concern is that I want to use it on my laptop with my preinstalled XP Home. I have all my work files on here and I have backed everything up already. I have a 60 gig HD with 21 Gig's free for a new OS, I figure about 10 gigs for linux should do.

I havent installed since Redhat 6 and Mandrake 7 and those wernt that bad to get up with the exception of the graphics setup.

I am concerned about hosing my XP setup on the HD, and if I decide I dont want to play with linux how easy will it be to get rid of it, in the past it has been a PAIN to get rid of the partitions.

Any info would be great.

Kroz

PS I have tried Knoppix STD and it really wanst for me, not looking to boot from CD...Cool to play with though.

OH!!!!

Laptop is a Compaq Presario 3000

P4 2.6
384 meg Ram
Shared SIS video
16" screen
Broadcom Internal 802.11g
PCMCIA Belkin 802.11g

I think thats it...

You'll need a partition manager software to change the partitions without hosing your current install.

So I should go buy a copy of partition magic or backup and format the drive? If I go with the second route should I install Linux first or Windows XP?

You can do either. If the latter, install Windows first after separating the partitions.

I say install windows then install Linux. If you install Windows second, it'll hose your bootloader. Nothing major but why make more work for yourself?

Back