Linux N00b Has A Problem (XFree86)

pixelbaker

Limp Gawd
I've decided to install Linux and get to learning it so I can stop looking like a total idiot everywhere I go. :D I downloaded Redhat 9 Shrike as a starter distribution and got it installed using the low resolution installer on a PC I have.

Problem: When I boot Redhat I can only use low resolution, 640x480, otherwise XFree86 will not start at all. I boot into 800x600 res and I get only a black screen and nothing happens. I'm using onboard video that X detects perfectly as an S3 Savage video card with correct model number. Monitor, a Lite-On rebadged, detects fine also. Taking a friend's advice I have tried editing the redhat-xfree86-config file to add 800x600 res and correct monitor refresh rates but still a black screen with every different refresh rate combination I try. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Yea, you should make sure that your settings are correct inside of the xfree86 file.

Before running the config file which BriguyNJ said, make sure that you know specifics about your monitor (namely Vert and Hortizontal refresh rates). You also need to know specifics about the video card...namely the amount of RAM on it (RAM x 1024 will give you the appropriate setting that the file will use).

The config file will also ask a number of other questions such as mouse type and keyboard type. It's going to ask you to create a name for each keyboard/mouse type...best to just leave it as default (press ENTER when the file asks if you want to rename it).

E-mail or PM me if you have any questions.

I've got the information for my monitor and the vert and horiz rates still do not work: http://www.griffintechnology.com/archive/monitors/Liteo02.html

Also, a correction on my first post. The X configuration file is named XF86Config and the actual configuration program is called redhat-config-xfree86

I'm at a loss of what to try now. my RAM size is set correctly. it probes my monitor and video card and detects them as the correct models and all. what am I doing wrong?

my other PC is totally standalone with no net connection whatsoever so outside of typing it all up I don't know a quick way to do that. i will if I need to

A friend on IRC suggested trying VESA drivers for my video card instead of the Savage drivers I had been using and now everything works perfectly. :rolleyes: Thanks for all your help.

Back