light audio recording

lukeh182

Gawd
would a SFF mobo work good for audio recording?? i don't want to be buy a shuttle or something like that, i want a via board or something similar. i remember a few links to the new via mobo's but i can't seem to find the on [H]ardocp. any help?? it will mainly be used to record piano students playing, demo tracks, and some vocal once in a while. i just need to know if a SFF mobo can handle that and what would be a good one. guess i'm kinda repeating myself but that's ok:D

if you're talking about the Via Epia, you'll need a soundcard for sure. The onboard stuff is CRAP. With a good soundcard, it should be able to handle it OK.

although the VIA has a very good sound quality compared to other onboard sound it is not as good as a good sound card, (not creative ansd so on)

if it is only for sound with a movie it is sort of OK, but VIA has a PCI slot you could put a M audio or some other good card in.

what sound card does everyone recommend? also what would be my best option as far as the board is concerned (ie the model of the board)

as of right now there is no price range, i'm just pricing things to get an idea

IMO onboard may be getting better for playback (still not up to dedicated hw), but for recording onboard ADCs suck, not to mention you'll probably be using more cpu power and the drivers aren't so hot. In fact, that's the case with many audio cards as well... they are typically more oriented towards playback. It's a purely financial decision on the manufacturers part, good quality hardware cost money and it would typically be unused by most people.

I haven't used one, but for affordable recording cards I would look at the Revo, heard good things about it.

I use an EgoSys WaveTerminal 2496, which can no be had for about $140. It has wonderful sound, solid drivers and I would recommend it to anybody interested in home DAW. Flawless operation with my Cubase setup.

I personally stay clear of anything Creative, imo they are for amusement only, and I really think they have a special development team seeing just how much bloat they can stuff in a 'driver' package.

[edit] If you have any idea at all of pursuing some demo work, I would invest some $ into a decent card, it really makes all the difference.

Back