LG C2 10bit or 12bit color?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there any point to put my color depth to 12bit from the 10bit I am currently using on my C2?

Would banding be better? Or anything for that matter?

As far as I know it uses 12-bit signal processing no matter what bit depth you set the display to in order to improve color banding in all situations.

Is there any point to put my color depth to 12bit from the 10bit I am currently using on my C2?

Would banding be better? Or anything for that matter?
The short version is: it only will make a difference if you have >10-bit source material.

The long answer is, if you have formats that are greater than 10 bits, then you'd be able to see significantly more of the image.
The pro cinema world is all 12-bits plus. 12-bit ProRes 4444 HQ being a mainstay for non-raw work-flows. And there are 16-bit container RAW formats that RED and Sony primarily have. ARRIRAW is an type that uses novel compression to hit 13-bits (It shoots in an 18-bit container, applies LOG, removes null values, I assume also does some interesting things with algorithms and rounding, and squeezes it into a 13-bit format that has no visual loss).

Anyway, it's not super important for me to go through a bunch of acquisition formats. If you were working with any of this stuff, then you'd already know why working with a 12-bit display would give benefit. 12-bit contains 4x the luminance and color information. The difference between 1024 values per channel and 4096 values. The difference between 1.06 billion colors and 68 billion colors.

Understanding bit depth and color rendition for video.jpg

There is a 12-bit HDR spec. But to my knowledge, no one is currently developing any images for that format, perhaps outside of theaters. It still mostly remains important in the professional world. I think it will eventually become important, but likely not until new forms of compression exist (because Blu-Ray is already mostly dead - that would be the easiest way in).

But without 12-bit or above images, then it just doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Back