LCD questions... 173P vs 172X vs my cheesy old 19" CRT

SupaMan

Man of Silicon
Going to college soon so I want to ditch this old Viewsonic E790B-4.

At this point my two main contenders are the Samsung 172X and 173P. I have a bunch of questions, so i'll jsut number them.

1. I don't play games constantly, but I do play them a lot. Provided the 172X actually is 12ms, then it should certainly be better for games, correct?

2. Why does the 173P cost more than the 172X. I see it has a slightly larger viewing angle, and slightly higher contrast, but 25ms vs 12ms? seems significant

3. While on the subject of response times, samsung's site says the 173p is 25ms, some of the stores say 16ms. who's got the typo?

4. Would I be happy with the 173P in games?

5. I have a 19" CRT now that i run 1280x1024 on... Will i be unhappy going down in size to a 17" LCD? In which case, would it be wiser to just ignore the slight ghosting of the 1800FP and get that, or even a 192T/1900fp

gracias

Have been holding an eye on these two myself. I think I can shed some light on your second question. The 173p is a 24bit PVA-panel (16.7M colours) with exceptional viewing-angle and contrast and is designed by Porsche (it's the successor to 171p). Pretty nifty design if you ask me. The only thing that seems to speak for the 172x is it's response-time. Not everyone prioritize the latter as perhaps you do.

I've read pretty much every review there are on these two. As I understand it, the 172x with the 12ms response-time has yet to be reviewed. The 173p has some slight ghosting, but that doesn't bother me the least as I hardly play games.

PS. There is a 193p around the corner with 20ms response-time and 800 contrast.

/e

thanks

that 193p will probably be over $700 though.. out of range

Originally posted by Oklushun
I've read some reviews on the 172X, even though it has a 12ms response time it still has some blurring in games like UT2003, not actual ghosting though.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/Samsung_172x/

OMG! How many threads have there been about this already. These reviews are for a non 12ms version of the 172X that Samsung, for some reason, released before the current 172X which has yet to be reviewed.

hmm ecost.com has it for $408... guy says its not a mistake, and will be back in stock within a couple weeks. retail and all

their rr isnt great, but isnt *bad* either...hmmm

Back