Laptop moniter to pc moniter?

Hades16x

2[H]4U
Iight i got this broken laptop moniter from a compaq presario 700

I want dual displays and i was wondering if i could do anything with this. Any adaptors or anything?????

DSC00235.JPG

DSC00236.JPG

edit sorry for the insainly large pictures

I've never seen someone hook up a laptop screen up to a computer by ripping it out but by looking at the pins, I don't see how it can be done enless you put the screen on another laptop. I'm not sure if they sell an adapter to do it. One of those cables is for power and you need to get something that will power it up as well. If you do find all this stuff, make sure all those wires are covered. Hazordous Shocks can come from those cables.

This has been discussed many times. It is possible. But impractical.

You have to build it yourself using parts from a broken desktop lcd. Or
I remember seeing awhile some adapter that would let you do it but that's also pricy.

Either way it's about $300 and a good amount of time and knowhow. It's just not worth it.

Yeppers, to interface a laptop lcd to a desktop you need to buy an lcd controller specific to the lcd you have. There are several lcd manufacturers and they tend to use their own propiertary signaling to interface to the video card. There is no set standard like dvi for desktop panels. Lcd controllers are a few hundred bux, so you might as well buy a desktop lcd. Since it is taking a digital signal, you could make a dvi to whatever it is converter, but that is impractical. DVI has an insane amount of bandwidth and to convert that on the fly would be a real pain. Pretty much you got a paper weight there unless you find an lcdless laptop that happens to use the same screen.

looks like you pick at your thumbnail in the exact manner i do. Thats all i gotta say.

It's been done before. I posted similar pictures from an old LCD I had and was linked to a few off-the-wall, technical controller manufacturer's websites. I have a few pictures on my computer of people who have laptop lcd's running with their desktop, but I figure it was pretty impractical. It can be done, but seems to be done as a hobby considering how much money and time it'l cost you.
-T

Back