Keyboard cutting out on me

Dougjwjr

Limp Gawd
A recurring problem I've had with keyboards is that they have a tendency to after a while start cutting out on me. By cutting out, I mean it will stop working until I unplug it and plug it back in. This has happened to me with 3 different keyboards on 2 computers. Now, I will note these are cheap keyboards. My current cheapo keyboard is uh... Dynex DX-WKBD, dont know where I got it, but anyhow, it's cutting out on me. I was going to go for a more expensive keyboard like the G15 or razer Lycosa. However before I do, I want to know, is this cutting out because they are cheap keyboards, or is there something wrong with my USB slots/PSU/other hardware?

Could be any of those things. The USB ports might be overloaded or they are going bad. Or your keyboard is just dying. I suggest getting another keyboard and see if it happens. If it does we know it is the USB ports which means MoBo.

Last edited:
It has happened on this computer with 3 keyboards, all of which were cheap, and it was not immediate, I used this keyboard for 6-8 months before it did it, now it does it anywhere from 0 times a day to 5 times a day, something like that. I'm thinking it might just be the wiring in the keyboard since it didn't happen at all for many months on this keyboard, but for it to happen to 3 of them? It makes me question that.

Try the same keyboard with a USB to PS/2 adapter and see if that works. If it does, then you know something is wrong with the USB ports on your computer.

Back