just got my 2001fp!

-=iNsAnE=-

Gawd
wow.. there's about 5 other threads with almost the same title as mine...

overall i'm very happy with this monitor.. even though its been running for about a total of 10 min.. it really makes my 17" kds from walmart look like crap setting above it (thats my 2nd display).. i can see a little bit of ghosting but nothing that i think will bother me.. and i dont really see the screendoor effect that everyone talks about.. and i got 0 dead pixels and no backlighting issues.. so i was lucky there (i dont konw what to look for for the backlighting problem but it looks fine so i'm assuming it is).. i do have a few questions.. really dumb ones.. i could probably do a search real quick and find the answers.. but since i already have a thread made.. might as well ask them here.. so anyway..

1.) what is d-sub?
2.) can someone give me a rundown of the interpolute and zoom and how that works.. i usually play my games in 1280x960 but that doesnt seem to work very well on this lcd but 1280x1024 works fine

i'm sure i'll think of some more questions too.. thanks!

use monitor's direct calibrator to check for backlight leakage and dead pixels.. Check especially the right top corner.

[1] D-Sub is your standard interface that's used on most CRT and some LCD monitors. D-sub is what you would be using if your video card doesn't support DVI

[2] I'm not totally sure about that, someone else will know better.

I'm sure you will. :)

thanks for the link... i did find 1 dead sub-pixel.. its stuck to red.. but its not noticeable hardly at all.. i cant even really see it from 2 ft away.. and its near the top right so its not quite as bad.. and i can only see it when i got a full screen of white or anothner bright color.. normal usage and i cant really see it

If the minor dead pixel I found on mine is what people keep returning them for, I think its just rediculous. The dead pixel is barely noticeable and only if the colors are perfect for viewing that dead pixel.

It's generally multiple dead pixels, noticeable backlight problems and the screen-door effect coupled with the knowledge that you paid $800 for something that wasn't perfect that leads people to return it.

With that said, I'm crossing my fingers that mine will turn out great. Should be here Monday.

I'm really not sure what the backlight problem is. I dont see anything that looks wrong on my screen. No fading in the corners or stuff like that. I guess if something is wrong that I don't like down the road, its good to know we have a 3 year warranty on the entire LCD.

Does anyone know if I need to register my LCD with Dell somewhere in order to activate the warranty?

Originally posted by RGrossman
I'm really not sure what the backlight problem is. I dont see anything that looks wrong on my screen. No fading in the corners or stuff like that. I guess if something is wrong that I don't like down the road, its good to know we have a 3 year warranty on the entire LCD.
I noticed it on one at work, although in this particular case it really wasn't that bad. Try putting up an all black screen, and turning the lights off in the room. On the one I saw, you can see a muddy gray color in the top right quadrant (this one had it about two inches from the corner). It looks a lot like there's a bright light right behind that patch, and therefore the monitor isn't uniform when displaying dark colors.

Like most things with this monitor, it doesn't really seem to be noticeable unless you REALLY look for it. Still annoying.

Does anyone know if I need to register my LCD with Dell somewhere in order to activate the warranty?

If it was bought directly from Dell, no. When you request warranty service, as long as you know the initial purchasers info, it should be fine.

But if you bought it from ebay or etc, you will need to know the initial purchasers info to get serviced.

If the minor dead pixel I found on mine is what people keep returning them for, I think its just rediculous. The dead pixel is barely noticeable and only if the colors are perfect for viewing that dead pixel.

i agree with that.. only if i had a lot of them would i return it.. or maybe if it was right in the middle and stuck to white or something (is that even possible? or only red, green, blue?) but if i wouldnt have ran that test thing that made my entire screen white i would have never noticed it.. now a backlight issue may be a different.. i dont think i'd like that.. and i still dont see this "screendooring" thing people talk about..

Originally posted by letdown
It's generally multiple dead pixels, noticeable backlight problems and the screen-door effect coupled with the knowledge that you paid $800 for something that wasn't perfect that leads people to return it.

With that said, I'm crossing my fingers that mine will turn out great. Should be here Monday.

I agree with most of what you said except the $800 part. Sure $800 is some money but it is no way expensive for a 20" flat panel. If you guys want perfection, they could always have better QA and then of course charge more. You really have to put the money in perspective. If you buy an $800 bigscreen it is going to be bottom of the line. Same with an $800 flat panel. You can bitch and whine all you want about how you expect perfection, but your not going to get it nowadays in that size of panel for $800.

Now of course I can understand people returning it for multiple dead pixels or bad backlighting, but returning it for a single dead subpixel it just bullshit. I'm sure i'll get flamed for this since a lot of you people think the world revolves around you, and that you should have everything you want. However, the real world doesn't work that way. If your an early adopter of technology, expect flaws. Personally, I'm not willing to except dead pixels or screen dooring or any of those other defects either. The difference with me is that I decided not to get a panel and instead got the nec 2141.

Of course I might get a flat panel in a few years when the technology is mature, but I am not going to buy something knowing there is a very good chance of it being subpar and then go crying to dell about it until I get the perfect monitor. Anyways, i'll stop preaching now.

Not a flame.

What you're saying doesn't make sense, just because the 2001fp is cheaper than competitors doesn't mean I should expect and accept lower quality compared to more expensive products. Their whole business model is based upon a cheaper product at higher quality than others.

It's up to the consumer to decide what value their money is worth to them. I feel that my $750 was well spent considering the performance and warranty policies of Dell. I would not have spent this much on a mail order company that did not have such a great return policy.

These are all things that are to Dell's advantage and contribute to their amazing success over the years.

Originally posted by Due
These are all things that are to Dell's advantage and contribute to their amazing success over the years.
Agreed. I gave them $800 due in large part to the knowledge that they'll replace/refund my order if I'm unhappy for any reason. If this policy is causing them to lose money, they're free to change it, and we're all free to buy from someone else.

As much as I dislike Dell's BTO systems, they're the first place I look for just about any peripherals thanks to the prices and customer service. Newegg too, same reason.

Originally posted by letdown
Agreed. I gave them $800 due in large part to the knowledge that they'll replace/refund my order if I'm unhappy for any reason. If this policy is causing them to lose money, they're free to change it, and we're all free to buy from someone else.

Dido...

To add a custom reso to a game do the following:

1:right click on the target icon

2:chose properties

3: on the target line add -xres 1280 -yres 1024 this may or may not need to be in "". Just replace those numbers with whatever reso you want.

Back