Just got my 2001fp...

SanGreal

[H]ard|Gawd
No dead pixels or backlight leakage, which is good news

BUT

The "screen dooring" drives me nuts. I guess my eyesight is too good for this display, because I can clearly see the border around each pixel and it makes the image grainy/dirty looking. My eyes are about 2.5ft away from the screen, if not a little more. I'm going to see if I get used to it, but at this point I'll probabaly return it :(

Haven't tried any games yet

I just ordered one for myself the other night, and finally saw one in person here at work today. I agree - the screen-dooring is pretty apparent even from a couple feet away if you have good eyesight. The only other nice Dell LCD I've seen in person is the 1800FP, and I'm almost leaning toward getting a couple of those instead.

Maybe I'll give it a chance and see if I get used to it too.

Alrighty - just got mine and set it up

Upon powering up, I was frustratingly dissappointed by the fact that there is 1 dead pixel!!!!! It's stuck-on white near the center of the screen - which sucks ass! It's so freakin' noticeable it's ridiculous - especially I do a lot of gaming - Lot's of black screens.

I'm not actually very impressed with the visuals of this monitor. I was expecting a much more crisp image and was very let down. I played a little KOTOR and some Morrowind - both look ok, but not as good as on my 19" Sony trinitron.

I don't seem to have any of the backlight leakage that other people have been talking about and no ghosting to speak of - so I'm lucking in that regard. I guess I could sum all this up by saying it's not as good as my expectations. Perhaps my expectations were overly high.

Obviously, the quality of a monitor is a fairly subjective matter. I've noticed a bit of this screen-door problem that people have talked about - I'd liken it to a certain graininess that's pretty apparent all the time - just drag a window around and look at a particular spot on that window - you'll see a kind of strange grit.

All in all, I'd probably keep it if it weren't for the 1 stuck pixel. Had I recieved a perfect panel, I would be pretty happy. But for $800, I'm not completely satisfied and I'm almost certain that I'm going to send it back - no replacement.

My friend's got a 1702fp, and I gotta say that I like that a hellava lot more than this, despite this one being 3 inches larger. Oh well - Dell's got a 30-day money back policy for a reason. Atleast I'm not out any money - I think it'll be another year or so of advancement in technology before I make the eventual leap to LCD.

For all you high-end CRT users out there, like myself, my recommendation is to stick with what you've got for a little while longer if you're looking for large screen action.

just got mine out the box about 2 hours ago.

unfortunatly, im using analog connection. im hoping that DVI makes it look as sharp as that moniter bootup screen, but if it does not, im still happy. its tons better than my cheap 17 was and it is pretty big;)

the screendoor thing i see when i am on top of it, but otherwise its alright i can deal with it

i have 0 deax/stuck pixels and backlight is perfect with the limited use i have so far.

DVI definitely makes a pretty big difference in the image quality, especially text clarity.

You're lucky that there's nothing wrong with it on the first try. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by enyceexdanny
DVI definitely makes a pretty big difference in the image quality, especially text clarity.

You're lucky that there's nothing wrong with it on the first try. :rolleyes:

will the DVI show bad pixels that i might not be able to see now? or will it be the same as it is now with just a better picture?

We bought 48 of the 2001 FPs here at work and we've replaced all the monitors with them.

So far everyone has been very happy with them. Of 48, one had 2 'stuck on' pixels that dell instantly took back. We use strictly DVI and none of the coders have complained about the visual quality at all.

I do think the older UltraSharp series is still a little crisper overall, but I'd rather have 1600x1200 over 1280x1024.

I haven't had time to change my monitors out yet, I'm the last guy with the older dells still.

desktop-5.jpg

Where do you work and what do you do there?

I didn't think places like that existed outside of my imagination.

I feel depression sinking in.

Originally posted by Due

I work for a trading firm in beverly hills, I'm the VP of Engineering currently.

I do love my toys!

Originally posted by Due

hah dont worry due he may have a few nice monitors, but that dude trades, he's going to die of a stress induced heart attack any day now, either that or lose a lot of money :p

Got my 2001FP hooked up last night. I dont see any backlight issues. I scanned the entire screen for dead pixels and found one almost in the center but I cant hardly see it. I'm not bothered by it as 1 is ok in my book. If I had like 3 or 4 scattered around I'd be pretty upset but one is acceptable in my book. Gaming is good with the LCD as well. I dont even see the screen door effect on this LCD. My old Gateway VX900T monitor has these 2 lines going therough them and seemed much more screen doorish. The 2001FP I dont see any screen effect but maybe my eyes are so used to the old one that these little things dont bother me.

Excellent monitor! I hooked mine up to my 9800XT via DVI and then took the analog input in the my 4-port KVM and use the KVM for my other 3 computers. I like it this way as whenever I had my main PC hooked upto the KVM, the picture was worse but now my main PC is going via DVI on the LCD and only using the keyboard and mouse port on the KVM. I love the multiple inputs function on this LCD.

How big are your guys stuck pixels? Mine seems very very very small, barely a spec. I can only see it if I look careful on an all black background. White its gone.

Originally posted by Techx
hah dont worry due he may have a few nice monitors, but that dude trades, he's going to die of a stress induced heart attack any day now, either that or lose a lot of money :p

Heh, I don't trade, I'm the VP of Engineering.

Trading is too stressful.

Got my 2001FP today. 3 pixels are a bit out of wack, but none of them are totally dead. Most likely going to keep this monitor. :)

Don't notice any backlight issues.

Ed: Well now that I look a bit I do see some "blotchyness" with a totally black screen.

Originally posted by RGrossman
How big are your guys stuck pixels? Mine seems very very very small, barely a spec. I can only see it if I look careful on an all black background. White its gone.
I had a bad subpixel in the lower-left corner, stuck-on green. I can't see it unless its a black background, and even then I can't see it until I get 6 inches away from the screen. Yes, I'm keeping it. :)

Back