just got dual small raptors in raid0... but lag?

JediFonger

2[H]4U
hd.jpg

my spec:
dual 34gb raptors
promise sx4 w/kingston pc100 128mb ram.

tyan tiger mpx
dual mp2800
1gb ecc ram
ati 8500dv
4 optical drives
600w psu

it still lags... for some REALLY weird reason. are those scores up above normal? somehow when i do a few things @once it feels laggy in certain places compared to when i had single raptor.

when i run benchmarks, just on read speed alone it can use upto 66+% cpu usage straight across. this is ludicrous... is this normal?

Raid0 is striping, yes? This would lead to slightly increased read time since the data is scattered over two drives, but faster writes, since two heads are writing.

It depends how sensitive you and your data are to access times. When I toyed with RAID0 4 years ago I noticed a distinct difference from a single drive, in a very negative sense. There's always a slight hesitation with striping that you don't get with single drives. Once that's over with things definitely do come faster, but eventually I just settled on all-SCSI to get the best of access times and transfer rates.

If you come away with anything, understand that RAID0 ain't all that - it buys you faster contiguous read/write speeds at the expense of access times and reliability. Provided you do a lot of multitasking or deal with fragmented or random access pattens, RAID0 is a shot in the foot.

Anyway, what you are seeing is a bad driver/firmware implementation on top of the natural problems with RAID0.

How many times have we seen this? As already mentioned Raid 0 will do nothing to help your access times, which is most likely where your noticying your speed decrease...

I've lost count. I think people see dual-channel DDR and think RAID0 is the same thing.

i primarily use this to do DV editing... and am now thinking about going back to single HD for apps and raid0 purely for DV data. i thought raid 0 was the shiznit

Originally posted by JediFonger
i primarily use this to do DV editing... and am now thinking about going back to single HD for apps and raid0 purely for DV data. i thought raid 0 was the shiznit

5min reading before hand would have saved you the trouble..

Back