Just bought a BB Bold, have questions...

jasonlitka

2[H]4U
So, I just bought an unlocked BB Bold from NewEgg and have a few questions.

First, can I use it without a BB data plan (voice only, no data or text) for a couple weeks? I was planning on making some changes to my plan (add family, change base minutes, etc.) the middle of February and I'd rather take care of it all at once. I guess what I'm looking for is a way to block the device from using ANY data service until I get the plan changed.

Second, where is a good place to get apps for this device? Free is is best but paid is fine if the apps are actually worth the money. Is there an official app store I can browse from my computer or do I need to do it from the Bold once it gets here?

Finally, the SIM in my current cell is a 64K SmartChip from the Cingular days so I assume it's not capable of using any 3G features. I've got a brand new 3G SIM that came with the wireless card in my notebook that I didn't need (already had an external adapter, just took the SIM from that). Anyone have any experience with getting an AT&T rep to switch the SIM out for me without some ridiculous service charge?

I'm going to give myself an answer on #'s 1 & 2.

1. Yes, you can run without a Blackberry data plan, certain apps detect that this is missing and then refuse to run.

2. Handango was in my bookmarks from back when I used a Palm Pilot & later a WinMo PDA.

3. ???

1. go to connectiom settimgs and there is an option to disable data services

2. crackberry.com or handango.com there are someon blackberry.com too
also pretty soon here blackberry is opening the new app store

3. the should switch the sim for you at no cost. just got to the store and talk to them. and if they give you shit tell em you will cancel all your accounts. then they will do it

Grr... NewEgg sent me an Unlocked Bold alright but it's certainly not unbranded as the web site shows. The phone boots up and shuts down with a "Rogers" logo and it's got the "Rogers" antenna cover at the bottom.

The only reason I bought the stupid thing from them was because it showed on their web site as unbranded. I could have gotten the AT&T model for 1/3 the price and then had the local store unlock it for me if I wanted a branded phone...

I argued with a rep over their live chat for about 30 minutes earlier today and the best they would do was "look into it and get back to me within 1-2 business days". Pretty crappy service if you ask me, especially since this was a Next Day Air order and I paid extra for their "Rush Shipping".

Anyway, I went to a local AT&T store over the weekend and they swapped out my SIM for a 3G chip. They took my phone and started working on it before I could even tell them that I had one they could use. No questions, hassle or charge.

I'll post back again once I hear from NewEgg.

Well there is a plus to having a rogers one over an ATT one.

on the ATT phones you cannot switch between 3g and Edge mode, and on the Rogers devices you can.

So what's the consensus then? Should I keep this one, replace the "Rogers" cover at the bottom, and just ignore the fact that it says "Rogers" every time it starts up and shuts down?

From what I've heard, there are unbranded devices floating around. Anyone know where I can get one?

So what's the consensus then? Should I keep this one, replace the "Rogers" cover at the bottom, and just ignore the fact that it says "Rogers" every time it starts up and shuts down?

From what I've heard, there are unbranded devices floating around. Anyone know where I can get one?

I mean if it really bothers you that it says Rogers have it replaced but whatever.

And you can get an unbranded one from eBay, or directly from RIM.

I couldn't find one from RIM; all they had up there on their site was older models. Do you have a link for that?

No I just remember you used to be able to buy directly from RIM maybe that is no longer the case.

No I just remember you used to be able to buy directly from RIM maybe that is no longer the case.

I got an email back from RIM this morning. The gist of it was that you cannot buy the latest and greatest directly from them. My guess is that when a 9000-replacement comes out you'd be able to buy the 9000 directly from them.

Still waiting on a reply from NewEgg. If they can't get me an unbranded handset then I'm just going to get the normal one from AT&T. I don't particularly care about the option to disable 3G that is not available with that handset and I can just pay a few dollars for an unlock code for the time when I travel. The whole point of me paying more was for the vanity of having an unbranded handset.

That's an impressive vanity, I'd say, but whatever makes you happy. This phone is on my short list, but I hadn't thought to try to buy an unbranded one...

Back