Just a little question...

Johnny X

Weaksauce
Hi, My mom wanted me to get this old computer working so she could use it for the basics like internet, word, excel, stuff like that. It would be nice if she could burn cd's also. So i put in this year old 40x memorex burner (that should work...) and no matter how i configure the jumpers and no matter what position it is on the cable, the bios does not detect it. This computer is old, like a 95 "tiger" and has a 110mhz pentium 48 megs of ram and a 4 gig hdd running win 98. Could it be that the drive just never worked or it could be a problem with the computer seeing as how it is so old. Thanks for the replys.

The IDE controller may be turned of in the BIOS. You also may have other problems, because I don't recall there ever being a Pentium 110 Mhz. Your probably going to want to get her a bigger hard drive if she's going to burn CDs.

Also try another IDE cable. That one may have gone bad.

yeah unless she is realy into that, id give up on the burner, but if you want to get it going check the cable, (as in the connection and the literal cable, maybe its messed up, try another)

try the burner in another pc to see if it works, check the bios, or clear cmos and reset the bios.... If all elce fails and you give up on the pc totaly, ill give you $2+shiing for the P1 (the chip)i want to get enouph of them to use as molding in a room

good luck

Many of the old comps do not support ATAPI devices. The early CD-ROMs were slaved from the venerable SB-16 or equivelent and were not true IDE devices, eventhough the cable/plugs were the same. '95 was the crossover year to ATAPI devices.

Back