Itanium

Sparky

2[H]4U
My friend just bought a dual Itanium board with processors for $100. He doesnt know what speeds they are but he says it says Confidential on them.

Since those are engineering samples, the only way to find the true speed would be to look up the number printed on the CPUs, in the Intel Decoder Ring. Or obviously hope the board auto-detects the speed correctly.

And what's going to be done with that extremely expensive paperweight? Not a whole lot.

Thats a pretty good deal, it will make an awsome server rig...

You can find them on egay for like ~80ish once an a while, so its not too amazing he got them for that cheap. Especially the itanium 7-800mhz chips.

itaniums have really never caught on...i heard somewhere they've already sold like 3 times the amount of Opterons than they have ever sold Itaniums.

Originally posted by Sparky
He is going to make a server out of it using Win2k3.

Why use Win2k3 and not *nix? (Especially since it's been longer in development...)

;)

Originally posted by Big Worm
Thats a pretty good deal, it will make an awsome server rig...

You can find them on egay for like ~80ish once an a while, so its not too amazing he got them for that cheap. Especially the itanium 7-800mhz chips.

ive never seen dual Itaniums and the board go for 80ish! i look a lot because i really want an Itanium setup for myself [it'll make a great webserver/database machine/compiler]

Originally posted by EvilGenesys
ive never seen dual Itaniums and the board go for 80ish! i look a lot because i really want an Itanium setup for myself [it'll make a great webserver/database machine/compiler]

I meant the itanium chips themselves, I have come across a couple cheap itanium single boards for under 50 bucks.

You right I havent seen a cpu+dual board combo for as as 80 but I have seen about 150.

The original Itanium's are not worth getting (unless you have some IA-64 software you really need to run).

But if you can find an Itanium II board for cheap, I'd be all over it.

The original Itaniums were horribly unstable.

They never caught on mainly because their 32-bit emulators were really slow and crappy. If you run 2k3 it will be in emulation mode. There was an IA64 version, but it never got released because not enough people wanted it.

A nice find, but I wouldn't try to run anything important on it. Unless you find a linux distro that supports IA64, that is.

EFI is pretty cool, tho. Supposedly MS and Phoenix are going to try to make all PC BIOSs like that.

He cant get them to boot. He bought 2 sticks of sdram ecc cuz it came with no ram. Is that the right ram?
He just scored today from this business we are recabling a quad P3-700 Zeon 2mb L2 rack mounted system for free.

If he can't get it to work, ask him if he'll give me one of the Itaniums.

I need a nice doorstop. (Hehe)

Does he know the model of the motherbaord? Crucial memory selector probabaly has it

I doubt Itanium boards count as "retail."

From what I've seen they are all custom'd by OEMs.

Itanium anything doesn't count for anything. But at least you can have a piece of Computer Gone Bad History behind some Glass, get your self a 5800 Ultra and you can make computing failures muesum.

No way, he needs a Parhelia in there.

Or at least a Voodoo5. And some RDRAM. And MCA expansion slots.

Originally posted by Wrench00
Itanium anything doesn't count for anything. But at least you can have a piece of Computer Gone Bad History behind some Glass, get your self a 5800 Ultra and you can make computing failures muesum.

I would like to make a hell system some time, It would consist of:

Intel itanium 700Mhz w/4 megs cache
a couple sticks of PC800 RDRAM
Geforce FX 5800 Ultra
2x IBM Deskstar 45 gig 75gxp
First gen Kenwood 72x cdrom
Xasor III Case
Razor Boomslang 2000 mouse
and a creative ensonique sound card.

:D

i saw the 72x explode and maul a test dummy on myth busters (discovery science). There were pieces of cd in its face lol

Originally posted by Big Worm

Geforce FX 5800 Ultra
Xasor III Case

:D

Only thing better than that would be to run the Deskstars in Raid 0.

Originally posted by Wrench00

Hahahahahahahahah, I just had to say hell yea!

Geforce FX 5800 Ultra
Xasor III Case

GOLD hehe

Back