it7-max died :-(

Rix2357

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, my abit it7-max just died less than 24 hours ago. I'm looking for opinions on a replacement now. My current options are Abit's it7-max2 ver2 (if I can still find it), or is7

If I went with the it7-max2 ver2, it would be a direct drop in replacement for me. I would use this and get new stuff when the Prescott is in full swing.

If I went with the is7, I would also think about adding another Corsair 512MB PC3200 (cas 3) to take advantage of the dual channel architecture, and maybe go with Prescott a bit later than if I went with the first option.

Also keep in mind, that I will still use my P4 2.26c on whichever motherboard I decide upon. This overclocks to a max of 2.9G or so. This is about 170mhz fsb. So, one would be overclocked, and one would be technically underclocked. However, I know that the is7 has a fan on the northbridge, and I am or would be concerned about the noise from it. I would like opinions on the noise and longevity of it. I remember back in the days when I had a KR7A-133Raid, the fan was tolerable for the first month, and then made a racket after a month because the bearings wear out so quickly on that cheap fan. So it basically comes down, to whether or not the extra money I spend will be worth the increase in performance, so let the opinions cometh. :)

if you send that board back to abit they will fix it for 25 bucks I think, they did it for my girlfriends board (it7-max2) dam fine support!

I just got an IT7 Max2 Ver2. How quick are you looking for a replacement?

I want to see what this thing can do for a week or two.

I got the board with a 2.53b SL6S2 chip.

Well, I was going to replace it asap, but I can't find any place that sells them anymore. So I'm still undecided on what to do. One part of me wants to splurge and get the ic7-max3, new processor, 1GB ram, etc. and use that in my peltier cooling setup. The other part of me says wait for Prescott.
I might be interested in unloading that it7 from you, after your done testing, but I'm not in a hurry as before. I am running my setup in cripple mode with an Asus P4PE-x w/2 of the 4 original hard drives. Overclocking on that motherboard is right where I was with the abit, but it lacks the firewire and extra ide headers. So I'm no longer running at 2.85ghz, but at a modest 2.4ghz due to using a stock intel hsf.

hmm, well, this abit rma thing still hasn't responded with a rma number. I got the initial email saying that I input all the stuff about my board, but still no rma number, it's been a few days. Has anyone else been in this situation and would be willing to share what they know?

Back