issues with BFG 6800 GT OC?

Vegas

n00b
I was just curious if anyone had any at all. I got an x800 pro (with 16 pipes inabled out of box), but after these benchmarks and everything else I'm considering going back to Nvidia.

This is my first ATI, and although I must say its a great card, I would rather have compatibility. A few arguments I have told myself to convince myself to go Nvidia again.

- Nvidia has intimate knowledge of the DirextX SDK, Xbox anyone? I doubt they will have any issues running future DX games like HL2.

- Nvidia does out perform ATI in Opengl titles, and will probably continue this way for quite a while.

Anyone know of any issues with the BFG cards? Do they run at 400/1000 stabily?

I haven't heard of anyone being unable to get to 400/1000. Some were unhappy that that is as far as they got though.

chrislg said:
I haven't heard of anyone being unable to get to 400/1000. Some were unhappy that that is as far as they got though.

I would say 400/1100. I've only read like 1 person who could only get to 380. If you got such a card, just take it back and say its overheating and get another one chances are high you'll be fine with that one. But don't expect much more than the above.

I cant get my BFG 6800GT past 385 so i just leave it at stock only thing your misiing is 1 or 2 more fps.

as far as i know, all of the 6800GT cards are being manufactured by the same company right now. 400/1100 is pretty much a guaranteed overclock. keep in mind that some cards will do better and some will do worse, as with any overclocking.

huh...well.wow. I thought the BFG GT OC was supposd to be overclock friendly?

Vegas said:
huh...well.wow. I thought the BFG GT OC was supposd to be overclock friendly?

Not a bit. They just changed bios for little higher default clock. I don't think they even changed voltage :p

The memory on mine fried at 415/1100. But I think the coolbits 2 had somethign to do with that. Can't prove it tho...

Gargoyle_Hunter said:
The memory on mine fried at 415/1100. But I think the coolbits 2 had somethign to do with that. Can't prove it tho...

If you looked at the actual heat the memory produces and check how stock memory cooling is (not the heat sink... but how its... interfaced with bga)... you wouldn't dare oc'ing the memory until you do something about it. The memory BTW without HS was hot to touch (no way I can keep touching it for more than 3 seconds when running 3dmark) still kind of hot even with copper memory sink but reading shows over 20c diff with 120mm fan slowly churning over the card. (I use infrared thermometer :p)

jinu117 said:
Not a bit. They just changed bios for little higher default clock. I don't think they even changed voltage :p

mine didn't even have the BIOS with the higher default clock, of course i didn't care since i wasn't going to run it at "stock" anyway.

felix88 said:
mine didn't even have the BIOS with the higher default clock, of course i didn't care since i wasn't going to run it at "stock" anyway.

Same here.

Memory does run pretty hot on the GT. I wouldn't push it too much, honestly, especially since you don't need to for any modern game. I'm using a waterblock to keep the core nice and cool, but the heatspreader over the memory gets nice and toasty. Think I'm going to sidemount a 120mm fan to push air over the heatspreader.

jinu117 said:
If you looked at the actual heat the memory produces and check how stock memory cooling is (not the heat sink... but how its... interfaced with bga)... you wouldn't dare oc'ing the memory until you do something about it. The memory BTW without HS was hot to touch (no way I can keep touching it for more than 3 seconds when running 3dmark) still kind of hot even with copper memory sink but reading shows over 20c diff with 120mm fan slowly churning over the card. (I use infrared thermometer :p)

Back