Is Oblivion for me?

Gabriel

2[H]4U
It has been years since i played an RPG. I've been into FPSs for the last couple of years, and was wondering if I should give this game a try. I am a fan of the ULTIMA series, specifically ultima 7 and underworld, but have never played Morrowind.
My computer is:
AMD 64 3800+
2 GB 3200 dual channel RAM
audigy 2 ZS
X800 XL 256MB PCI-E
2005 FPW (I would like to run at 1680x1050 on highest setting, no AA)

In a word yes.

My friends generally like RPG, and most of us prefer turned based actually.

This game is amazing, I haven't talked to a single person that hasn't loved it yet.

Bottom line, go get the game. Get the book if you want, or we'll help you, but it's a MUST HAVE.

I'm not a big RPG guy, either, but this game has its hooks in me. I've got a similar system to yours and it runs very well at 1280x1024, large textures, no AA, and all settings at high or medium.

The gameplay is fantastic and if your system slows down outside then just turn some distance viewing stuff off. You're not going to notice it, anyway. You'll be too busy playing da game! :D

Gabriel said:
It has been years since i played an RPG. I've been into FPSs for the last couple of years, and was wondering if I should give this game a try. I am a fan of the ULTIMA series, specifically ultima 7 and underworld, but have never played Morrowind.

I've never played any of the TES games.

Just think of it as a midevil FPS. That's how it plays. There are just RPG elements (leveling) to it...but in the end, I don't really seeing it being that much more RPG-ish than aww, crap...what's the name of the game. It's based on the UT99 engine....made by Eidos. A sequel was made and it was shitty, too console-ish...fuck.

DEUS EX! that's it!

If you want FPS shooting, just use a bow. I never use 3rd person view, so, to me, it's just a very expansive, non-linear FPS.

I <3 it.

So, you're a fan of old RPG's but consider yourself and "fps" guy.....

Yea, i think oblivion is gonna suit you just fine and dandy ;)

I HATE RPGs. I hated Morrowind, I couldnt play past 5 minutes of WoW, but i fucking LOVE Oblivion. give it a try, its way fun.

Oblivion in my opinion doesn't feel like much of an CRPG. However, the game is just fun. Exploring, trying out new character builts, crafting... It's all done in a way that is very fun. You could go in with a shooter attitude and have a blast.

I think I spent the first half hour or so just messing with my characters facial features

..but yeah , I think you will enjoy this one as it can be straight fps or 3rd person if you like that view better .. and now that its been mentioned , it does remind me alot of the 2nd Dues ex and the latest Thief game on the same engine

[F]old|[H]ard

Gabriel said:
My computer is:
AMD 64 3800+
2 GB 3200 dual channel RAM
audigy 2 ZS
X800 XL 256MB PCI-E
2005 FPW (I would like to run at 1680x1050 on highest setting, no AA)

I wouldn't expect to play it at that res with all highest settings (and expect playable fps) because I can't with my system and I have a better graphics card. But get it anyways, it's an amazing game

Darn, I really don't want to turn down the resolution. How bad is it on this card or a 6800gt? Thanks for the replys, I will definitely give this game a try.

I wouldn't count on running 1680x1050. On my old system, P4 3.2, 1gig ram, 6800GT, I had a hard time getting acceptable performance at 1024x768. In the woods, on a horse, I would get 15fps.

I've since upgraded to a AMD 4400 X2, 2gigs of ram, X1900XTX and I can run at 1680x1050 no problem.

The kind of RPGs I enjoy are: Deus Ex, KOTOR, System Shock 2 and I also enjoy Oblivion. I haven't ever enjoyed an "orcs and dorks" themed game before this one.

Back