Is it worth getting a DVD burner now or should I wait for the dual layer ones?

LordJezo

Limp Gawd
Are the current crop of DVD burners worth getting or should I not waste my money on them since the dual layer one are on the way which will provide standards compliant DVD burning with twice the data capacity?

It all depends on your need for it, if you need one now, get a dual format, if your not dying for it, you may aswell wait. :)

Depends if you really need it now, if you don't, I'd wait. Disc support is very flakey as each different DVD burner only works with some discs, so to start of you have to buy as many brands as you can and see which one works.

Pioneer recently demonstrated a dual layer burn session at one of the electronic shows. The twist...it was burned with their 4X dual media A06 burner. They said that things were still in the test phase and they weren't sure if the firmware upgrade would be released to the public. Also they didnt do a full Dual Layer burn they just burned 100meg to each layer. Go to Doom9.org and search their forums if you need more info on it. Beware though...they aren't exactly newbie friendly.

I would just wait...If you don't need it, don't get it...

That is why I got a CD-RW/DVD-ROM...I can always upgrade later..

I thought about waiting, but my disc collection was outa control, so I went and bought a Plextor after christmas, god its so nice...

beforeafter.jpg

I think I'm gonna wait for the Dual Layer ones, though they are getting REALLY cheap now. I'm stilling chugging along with a uberold CDRW :)

Anyone know the timeframes for these burners? Dual Layer Capable I mean...

^^Dual-Layer? March-April this year at the earliest, though nothing's set in stone.

I can't wait... I just downloaded the newest version of suse which is like 7 gigs, and I can't fit it onto the current dvd disks. DUAL LAYER DOUBLE SIDED HERE I COME 18.8 GB DISKS!! You could fit 26 700mb movies on one of those puppies!! That's like 43 hours of divx goodness @ 100 minutes a disk!

Back