is it possible to use a router with a usb dsl modem?

is it posible to network using a usbl dsl modem? ive got a linksys wireless g router. so far im having no luck making this work sincei cant plug the modem directlyinto the the router.

i tried adding another network card so i can have one that takes internet signal to the router (what an ethernet modem would do) then another from a port of the router connecting the computer. but im havning trouble with thtat, is it even possible?

It is not possible to do this with your current hardware. You can however use a USB Cable/DSL Modem with a PC based firewall like Smoothwall...

oh, thanks for the info. but the reason i need a router is for sharing internet access with another copmuter in the house.

i guess ill have to change isps then. even better, i never liked my current one.

Your current ISP may be able to send you an ethernet modem as a replacement for your USB modem. It can't hurt to call them and ask...

ive called them twice over the course of the last 2 years (i have been with them for 3-4 years) and they wouldnt send me an ethernet modem. they said we can only replace it if its broken. and when i said "ok its broken" they said your warranty is finished, you have to buy a new modem if you want. i just hung up.

Originally posted by white_rabbit
ive called them twice over the course of the last 2 years (i have been with them for 3-4 years) and they wouldnt send me an ethernet modem. they said we can only replace it if its broken. and when i said "ok its broken" they said your warranty is finished, you have to buy a new modem if you want. i just hung up.

huh? who is this? this is total BS if you ask me. who do you have service (or lack of service) with?

Just buy a compatible modem online... shouldn't set you back much.

if dsl modems are like cable modems, you will probably need to call your isp and tell them you bought a new modem and give them the mac address

Oh, I see what they are saying, yeah your going to need to get a new modem with ethernet (there not going to give you a free one.) I would look for a used one (will be the cheepest) I have 3 myself... (was just in deals I picked up here and there)

1: Take some diesel fuel and put the modem in a bucket full of it.
2: Aim bottle rocket at bucket.
3: Laugh
4: Send your dsl company pics and switch providers.:D

i just might do something like that ^

this modem has given me countless hours of stress and anger in the past 3 years. but to solve my issue, i signed up for a new isp. since i really dont even like my isp and will take advantage of my situation by finally switching.

i think ill burn it and smash it with a sledge hammer, as its burning... so flaming pieces will fly all over the place. and if i do do this i probably will record it. so i can watch it and get pleasure from it in the future. (i said GET pleasure, not pleasure myself!)

Originally posted by white_rabbit
i just might do something like that ^

this modem has given me countless hours of stress and anger in the past 3 years. but to solve my issue, i signed up for a new isp. since i really dont even like my isp and will take advantage of my situation by finally switching.

i think ill burn it and smash it with a sledge hammer, as its burning... so flaming pieces will fly all over the place. and if i do do this i probably will record it. so i can watch it and get pleasure from it in the future. (i said GET pleasure, not pleasure myself!)

Oh good you can switch to a different ISP! I would send a letter to old one tell them what you think, and that you are droping the service....

Back