Internal card reader with only MicroSD

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
I thought it would be nice to have an internal front card reader in my PC for micro SD cards, which are the only kind of memory cards I use. However the only internal card readers I can find are all 7-in one, 21-in one type multi card readers. Do any internal PC card readers exist that are simple, and only have one or two slots for MicroSD? I don't want a bunch of obscure slots for memory cards that I will never have or use.

It literally costs them like .20 to add all the additional ports, so they follow the chinese more-is-better scheme and try and stuff everything but the kitchen sink into it (so the title can be long, because longer is better (eg USB C Docking Station Dual Monitor for HP Dell Lenovo Thinkpad Surface, 23 in 1 Computer Multiple Monitor Hub Adapter to Dual 4K HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA, 100W PD, 3 USB 2.0 TF/SD/uSD/CF/MMC for Windows Laptops Desktops Servers Dildos)

Unfortunately the form factor for high performance cameras is not CFExpress B. And so far, I have not found any internal card readers for that format.

Unfortunately the form factor for high performance cameras is not CFExpress B. And so far, I have not found any internal card readers for that format.
hes asking for a single slot mircosd card reader, not CFEB

That's a full size SD card reader. I'm not sure I've ever noticed microSD only internal readers though and maybe SD-only is all the OP was actually after.
Ah, yeah, bummer. Finding a microsd reader will probably be even harder, too.

You could probably make your own if you can figure out what all components you need. Just make a simple pcb, order the microsd slot assembly, and have some company build the board with the sd controller and maybe a usb controller chip and a connector for the usb header cable. Cost would probably be close to $70 give or take a few 10s.

I thought it would be nice to have an internal front card reader in my PC for micro SD cards, which are the only kind of memory cards I use. However the only internal card readers I can find are all 7-in one, 21-in one type multi card readers. Do any internal PC card readers exist that are simple, and only have one or two slots for MicroSD? I don't want a bunch of obscure slots for memory cards that I will never have or use.
I'm thinking that a USB to microSD stick might be your only logical option. Good news is they are cheap, small (they only stick out a cm or so) and removable. Removable is a key point here as it is much easier to pull the stick and swap microSD's when you can hold it in front of you rather then dicking around with a front case panel. No need to install, can store away or even move to a different system when the need arises.

You could probably make your own if you can figure out what all components you need. Just make a simple pcb, order the microsd slot assembly, and have some company build the board with the sd controller and maybe a usb controller chip and a connector for the usb header cable. Cost would probably be close to $70 give or take a few 10s.
Including the cost of the company building the board? Are there companies that actually offer this service? (not a troll, just wondering)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Including the cost of the company building the board? Are there companies that actually offer this service? (not a troll, just wondering)
It might be a bit more, depends on the design of the board, number of layers, materials used, and the cost of the components. But yeah, pcbway is one company which does it (not sure if they do the smd components, but they'll make the pcb at least), and there are a few others.

Afaik, none do through-hole components, only smd, and they may not do connectors/headers.

they make surface mount microsd readers like used internally with 3d printers. I've replaced mine a few times. All you'd need is a faceplate to mount it to.

It might be a bit more, depends on the design of the board, number of layers, materials used, and the cost of the components. But yeah, pcbway is one company which does it (not sure if they do the smd components, but they'll make the pcb at least), and there are a few others.

Afaik, none do through-hole components, only smd, and they may not do connectors/headers.
PCBWay will do anything you want, as long as you have the $$$$.

PCBWay will do anything you want, as long as you have the $$$$.
Can they really do a prototype for under $100, if the have the right skills? Not me. :rolleyes: I'm just wondering because I belong to this Facebook group about some hardware that would benefit from updated PCBs.

Back