intel D845GVSR motherboard only supports 266 fsb on memory?

hi..

against my reccomendation, my boss guy brought 2 computers from work into a place to get them upgraded.. the old pIII mobos have leaky caps and are dropping like flies.. anyways.. here is what we got

2x intel D845GVSR mobos
2x intel 2.0 ghz northwood celerons (retail)
1x 256mb apacer pc2700 cas 2.6 (not 2.5, 2.6??)
1x 512mb apacer pc2700 cas 2.5
a shitty psu..

so anyways.. one is assembled and i am using it right now..

but... it shows up as cpu clock 400 mhz, and memory clock 266..

well it has pc 2700 in it.. so i go to bios
and i can only change the memory to [auto] or [266]
i can maunally change the timings.. but the auto timings give me this 6, 2.0, 3, 3 i can't only use 2.0 or 2.5 for cas..

so... does that motherboard suck and only run up to 266 for memory? or is the ram so shitty that the intel board is reading the spd wrong? i can't get it to go to 333 even if i manually enter the timings..

motherboard 2 is going to be assemebled later today and i will post those results.

thanks

scott

oh, and because i feel like bitchin a little bit more.. they didn't install the 80 pin cables or even give them to us... even though i am sure there were some that came with the motherboards... so i have a hard drive and cdrom on a 40 pin cable... i am going to tell my boss to go back to the place and get the 80 pin cables... i guess he knows these people or something, because he has been buying shit from them for years... (these are the same people that sold us the motherboards that all the caps are bursting on) [that really isn't their fault though actually] but have you ever heard of a EÜPA motherboard?

scottatwittenberg said:
hi..

against my reccomendation, my boss guy brought 2 computers from work into a place to get them upgraded.. the old pIII mobos have leaky caps and are dropping like flies.. anyways.. here is what we got

2x intel D845GVSR mobos
2x intel 2.0 ghz northwood celerons (retail)
1x 256mb apacer pc2700 cas 2.6 (not 2.5, 2.6??)
1x 512mb apacer pc2700 cas 2.5
a shitty psu..

so anyways.. one is assembled and i am using it right now..

but... it shows up as cpu clock 400 mhz, and memory clock 266..

well it has pc 2700 in it.. so i go to bios
and i can only change the memory to [auto] or [266]
i can maunally change the timings.. but the auto timings give me this 6, 2.0, 3, 3 i can't only use 2.0 or 2.5 for cas..

so... does that motherboard suck and only run up to 266 for memory? or is the ram so shitty that the intel board is reading the spd wrong? i can't get it to go to 333 even if i manually enter the timings..

motherboard 2 is going to be assemebled later today and i will post those results.

thanks

scott

oh, and because i feel like bitchin a little bit more.. they didn't install the 80 pin cables or even give them to us... even though i am sure there were some that came with the motherboards... so i have a hard drive and cdrom on a 40 pin cable... i am going to tell my boss to go back to the place and get the 80 pin cables... i guess he knows these people or something, because he has been buying shit from them for years... (these are the same people that sold us the motherboards that all the caps are bursting on) [that really isn't their fault though actually] but have you ever heard of a EÜPA motherboard?
I'm afraid that you've run into the limitations of the i845G chipset, when used with a 400MHz FSB (100MHz FSB actual) processor. With such a processor, you can only use PC2100 (DDR266) DDR memory. And though the i845G chipset officially supports 400MHz FSB and 533MHz FSB CPUs, it officially supports only DDR266 (PC2100) memory. Thus, you're stuck with the DDR266 single-channel memory, especially on an Intel-brand motherboard.

I'm stuck with a Intel D845HV mobo atm and that doesn't even support ddr, only PC133 SDRAM (or so I've been told)

ok, thanks.. at least i know why that is...

i really need to convice him to stop buying compuetrs from this place...

i really need to sway him over to amd... but that will be harder i think...

Back