intel 64 in mid february

I wouldn't yet call that a true 64-bit Xeon, because it sounds like the 64-bit elements only affect memory addressing capabilities. I think that Intel will continue to hold off on releasing non-Itanium processors that feature full 64-bit capabilities, because of the massive investment that HP and Intel took on with the Itanium project. It puts them in a really bad position right now.

Originally posted by xonik
I wouldn't yet call that a true 64-bit Xeon, because it sounds like the 64-bit elements only affect memory addressing capabilities. I think that Intel will continue to hold off on releasing non-Itanium processors that feature full 64-bit capabilities, because of the massive investment that HP and Intel took on with the Itanium project. It puts them in a really bad position right now.

No kidding, I am sure they learned alot with Itanium but damn talk about a waste of cash..

Then again it seems like intel has infinite money sometimes.

Heh.. I almost spelled 'cash' 'Cache'

Originally posted by xonik
I wouldn't yet call that a true 64-bit Xeon, because it sounds like the 64-bit elements only affect memory addressing capabilities.

umm opteron and A64 isn't truly 64-bit when it comes to memory addressing capabilities either, in fact no processor is, so it cant just be for memory

Originally posted by Big Worm
No kidding, I am sure they learned alot with Itanium but damn talk about a waste of cash..

Then again it seems like intel has infinite money sometimes.

Heh.. I almost spelled 'cash' 'Cache'
for the most part, i agree it was a waste of cash, but there are a few uses where it simply blows all the compitition out of the water

Back