i'm sorry for the n00bage

Verge

Supreme [H]ardness
sorry guys, i've been so poor and busy i haven't kept up with anything computer related in a good year and 1/2...

so i'm buying an athlon 2500+ mobile from from newegg... (cause you can overclock it right ?)

but what motherboard should i get, which one will let me overclock it, the processor will run at 333mhz if i put it in a 333mhz board correct ??

sorry for the noob questions, but i haven't really paid attention since my last computer(athlon 750@900)

sweet, it's either that or an NF7... guess i'll just pick one and order it...

thx for the advice

ok, from what I have gethered the mobile 2500+ is stable and good overclock - as well as unlocked. I believe most any board will support it too. My suggestion is to go nVidia Nforce 2 ultra 400 motherboard chipset. This chipset overclocks well and out performs all other socket A chipsets. If you want the king of the hill - go DFI Lanparty NF2 Ultra B as it is the present overclock king, and has an excellent package that goes with (like a carrying handle for your computer case...)
If you want to go cheap you can still go with this chipset - the low end is under $60 - the board I have is now priced $66 - NOTE: the low end do not have the MCP-T southbridge chips - these have the excellent (read: original soundblaster audigy quality) soundstorm onboard sound. Nor will the low end have serial ATA, but the old eide. But, they most likely will have onboard nic (10/100) Some of the higher end boards have gigabyte lan.
really the price range is from just under $60 to just under $150 - not bad at all and wide selection of addons

Originally posted by Verge
sorry guys, i've been so poor and busy i haven't kept up with anything computer related in a good year and 1/2...

so i'm buying an athlon 2500+ mobile from from newegg... (cause you can overclock it right ?)

but what motherboard should i get, which one will let me overclock it, the processor will run at 333mhz if i put it in a 333mhz board correct ??

sorry for the noob questions, but i haven't really paid attention since my last computer(athlon 750@900)

the DFI infinity ultra... arguably the best OC'r out there... with reguards to the NF7-S..

Both the DFI boards seem to be faring well for oc'ing. I am chomping at the bit to get my income taxes back in the next day or two so i can finish my shiny new rig.....for now i will just have to look at the motherboard sitting empty in the case..... :(

Originally posted by Banukab
Both the DFI boards seem to be faring well for oc'ing. I am chomping at the bit to get my income taxes back in the next day or two so i can finish my shiny new rig.....for now i will just have to look at the motherboard sitting empty in the case..... :(

unless you need all that extra crap the lanparty comes with.. i wouldnt get it.. the ultra infinity is the exact same pcb of the lanparty.

personally im threw with all the MB's that come with too much shit...

with the asus ur able to OC on a 2600 barton to 3200 with a WC

got a 2500+ mobile and a NF7... should be here on friday... got a thermaltake copper volcano to cool it with(case already has decent airflow) and i'll be dropping a 9800 pro 128 as well as 512 ddr on saturday... that should do me fine for my moderate gaming... and it really didn't cost very much at all

Originally posted by Jason711
unless you need all that extra crap the lanparty comes with.. i wouldnt get it.. the ultra infinity is the exact same pcb of the lanparty.

Rounded cables? Case handle? UV GREEN REACTIVE COMPONENTS?? Yeah, doesn't really make up for the $60 price difference. But anways, the DFI Ultra Infinity oc's the same as the DFI LANParty B.

Verge I still don't know why you're going with the Mobile 2500+. The desktop 2500+ might be locked but you're still going to be able to oc it through the FSB. That's why you get good ram, PC3200 or PC3500 from a good company (don't get that value shit).

DRJ1014 I'm surprised your not banned because of your last thread. You still never contribute anything useful. With stock cooling you can oc a 2600+ to a 3200+.

Hmm, for a fella that has been out of the loop for a year & 1/2 , it sure sounds like you gots a kickin system heading your way.
Good job.

I've been hearing that all new Barton 2500+ chips that roll off the assembly line will be locked, and no more oc'ing them. So if you have one now, consider youself lucky. They're doing this so more ppl buy 64... Frys has already started selling the locked 2500+. :/

Originally posted by theNoid
I've been hearing that all new Barton 2500+ chips that roll off the assembly line will be locked, and no more oc'ing them. So if you have one now, consider youself lucky. They're doing this so more ppl buy 64... Frys has already started selling the locked 2500+. :/

WTF? You realize you can still increase the FSB with a locked chip? Or did that slip your mind when you said "no more oc'ing them"?

Back