I'll be grateful if you can help me with this noisy symptom. HP printer driver installation.

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I currently have an OfficeJet Pro 7740 connected as a network printer for my home and all devices can print from it (all is good) except that after sometime the printer icon in my device manager will be grayed out and the printer will be offline in my main machine. The solution is to remove it and reinstall the driver. Windows 10 detects and installs the driver right away. But why is this happening you think? It is annoying as hell having to install the driver every few days! Nothing I can think of triggers this. It just happens out of the blue. This was the case also with my older printer, an HP officejet 8600 Pro.

Hi,

I currently have an OfficeJet Pro 7740 connected as a network printer for my home and all devices can print from it (all is good) except that after sometime the printer icon in my device manager will be grayed out and the printer will be offline in my main machine. The solution is to remove it and reinstall the driver. Windows 10 detects and installs the driver right away. But why is this happening you think? It is annoying as hell having to install the driver every few days! Nothing I can think of triggers this. It just happens out of the blue. This was the case also with my older printer, an HP officejet 8600 Pro.
My guess is built in obsolescence. Not sure what OS and drivers that printer was made for originally. Maybe do a deeper dive online and see what similar folks have come up with?
PS- just trying to help going on nothing.

if ou physically wake up the printer, does the printer icon become not greyed out?
No. I actually can't remember if I can ping the printer when this happens. I think you can ping it successfully. Will have to wait for it to happen again to test it.

My guess is built in obsolescence. Not sure what OS and drivers that printer was made for originally. Maybe do a deeper dive online and see what similar folks have come up with?
PS- just trying to help going on nothing.
Couldn't find anything useful online. They tell you to check if the printer is properly connected. The thing is: in my case there is nothing wrong with the physical connection. I just have to remove it and reinstall it and it will get resurrected. I don't mess with the cable connection. If I'm not mistaken, I can also ping the printer and enter its web interface (I have to test this next time to be sure), so it is connected but for some reason it shows as offline and grayed out. One of those weird issues.

is it set to a static ip? if not, start there.
Hmmmmmm. No it is not. Never thought of this as a possible reason. But now that you mentioned it, it could very well be the reason. However, the printer is always on and connected, why would it change IP's? Maybe the router renews the lease regularly? I don't know.

Thanks for the tip, I'll need to test it.

Hmmmmmm. No it is not. Never thought of this as a possible reason. But now that you mentioned it, it could very well be the reason. However, the printer is always on and connected, why would it change IP's? Maybe the router renews the lease regularly? I don't know.

Thanks for the tip, I'll need to test it.
no idea why, could be an isp renew, i just know that it used happen at one of the distance edu sites i cover until it was set as a static ip. if youre gonna try it just move it up the ip range so other devices can still grab lower ones via dhcp.
and no prob!

no idea why, could be an isp renew, i just know that it used happen at one of the distance edu sites i cover until it was set as a static ip. if youre gonna try it just move it up the ip range so other devices can still grab lower ones via dhcp.
and no prob!
Yeah I know, I'll give it an IP outside the pool. Thanks again.

Weird. I came in to check it today and it was online and ready to print, however, the IP address is different. So, the IP address changed and this didn't make it go offline. I wonder why the IP changed. I'll go check my router settings.

Weird. I came in to check it today and it was online and ready to print, however, the IP address is different. So, the IP address changed and this didn't make it go offline. I wonder why the IP changed. I'll go check my router settings.
you set the ip in the printer, right?

you set the ip in the printer, right?
No No, I still didn't give it a static IP. It is getting its IP from DHCP. I wanted the problem to happen again to see if the IP address changed, but surprisingly enough I discovered that the IP address changed for some reason and the printer is still online. Weird. This tells me that the dynamic IP is not the problem but I don't know for sure. I need to do more tests.

Back