IC7: Any repercussions connecting fans this way???

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
Here is the scenario.

I just got some Coolermaster case fans. They don't draw a lot of power. So I want my case to be as quiet as possible, and wanted to use them via the 3 pin headers on my IC7.

Well, I found that out of the 5 3 pin fan connectors on the IC7, only 2 support FAN EQ adjustments. This sux big time. I thought at least 3 did.

Well, what I did was get a 3 pin splitter. Not a normal one. I got it from a HP system. It's a special one, but it's not proprietary. The end goes to the fan connector. The two splitter parts are described as such:

Connector 1: has the normal 3 wire connector (Power, Ground, Fan Monitoring).
Connector 2: has only 2 wires on the connector (Power, Ground). No Fan Monitoring.

Anyway, using this splitter, I connected both the rear case fan to Connector 2 AND my blue orb Abit NB fan to Connector 1, then plugged the splitter into the Northbridge fan header.

I use Speedfan to control the fan speeds, and, so far, I don't see any problems with the fans spinning up and down according to temps.

Would this type of connection pose any type of issue/s that I am not currently aware of?

Thanks.

Fan controllers and splitters are used all the time.

The way you have it, you should not have a problem what so ever. Honestly, I NEVER connect fans to the motherboard. I want a fan in my case to spin at their maximum RPM. I notice that some BIOS features tend to slow down fans and even further effect onboard voltage.

Honestly if I were you , I'd rewire all your fans with longer cables. Pick up one of them pretty fandangled NEXUS or Vantec FAN controllers and wire them to it.

Psyko M.

I use a program called Speedfan to monitor temps and control fan speeds. This is the reason why I want the fan (at least one) to be connected to the motherboard. The fans spin up when the PC gets hot, and spins down when it is cool.

does it do that automatically?

i dont see a setting to change it to speed up when my stuff gets hot

Back