IC7 - Advice need for SATA & IDE Config

morpheus9394

Limp Gawd
Just installed my first SATA motherboard and I need some help with the config of my several HDDs and CDROMS.

This is my current config:

SATA HDD as my Boot Drive - Windows XP Pro SP1, on SATA1
IDE HDD ON IDE1 - Drive set to cable select and is on the master part of the IDE Ribbon
CDROM & CDRW on IDE2 - CDROM Master, CDRW Slave

In bios the following has been auto detected:

IDE1 Master - IDE HDD
IDE1 Slave - None
IDE2 Master - CDROM
IDE2 Slave - CDRW
IDE3 Master - SATA HDD
IDE4 Master - None

IDE & SATA Chips are both enabled, SATA in IDE mode NOT raid.
SATA in Enchanced mode
SATA Raid chip enabled but not install in Windows (need to install tonight)
The SATA drive is first in the boot order.

This config works well and all my drives and appearing in windows and are running at their correct speeds (Multi DMA 5 for the HDDs and Multi DMA2, i think, for the CDROMs)

The only weird thing that sometimes happens is that on a reboot, the SATA drive is sometimes lost in bios and not found during the post process, unless you soft reset. It will then be found again but the boot order will change making the IDE drive first.
Not a major problem but a slight pain leading me to think I have not configured the bios properly.

Any advice on my config, epespecially with regards to speed and stability would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Further to my orginal post, I just updated the bios to ID1.9 and unforunately still getting the same problem.
Also tried putting the IDE drive on the slave part of the cable but again still problem

Any ideas anyone?

Updated the bios to ID2.0, cleared the CMOS and re-applied to bios settings (also turned on IDE Bus Mastering)

But unfortunately I am still getting the same problem. Very weird.
It seems like the SATA and the IDE HDD are having a little gang fight. My western Digital IDE drive obvious does not like being moved to second in command and keeps pushing my shiny new Seagate SATA drive off the bios.
But if I do a hard reset everything is works fine.

Any other ideas??

How do you have the Western Digital IDE drive set up? As a master, slave, or slave with no master? Is it set to cable select or not by the jumpers? If it's the only drive on its cable remove the jumpers from it, that's the correct configuration for a single drive with no slave in the loop. Sometimes I've seen WD drives work ok when left with the factory default cable select position on the jumpers, but then lose their minds later on. See how that goes.

The drive is jumpered to cable select.
I will remove the jumper tonight and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the reply.

Back