IBM laptops. Tracking devices? any truth to this.

CyByte

Gawd
My friend told me he will not purchase a new IBM laptop becasue of some new ties with the government that susposibly has them using some type of tracking stuff.

"instruction in the bios that better allows them to monitor what you do on the internet...if a program is not installed correctly windows gives you a protection error...basically allows them to force their bloat/spyware to stay on yoru rig" - what he told me

any truth to this or was this a rumor. how easy is it to bypass

HAHAHA ooooh man, that just reaks of BS, i got 3 thinkpads, from p1 to p4, and there is no truth to that what so ever.

I hope his foil hat is in good order, or the satellites will read his mind.

Arguments sake. They do track your movements, and have been for 2 years now. How many thinkpads are out there? How many pages does the average thinkpad user visit in a day? how big of a computer would they need just to keep track of the log files, let alone do something useful with it? :rolleyes:
and really, why would they care? If the government is interested in your, all they'd have to do is contact your ISP, and get all the data they want. :eek:

Sounds like the old, public processor id crap.

It's bull, period. Your friend is a parinoid freak.

or he's thinking of the laptop's lojack type thing...

either way, hahahahahahalololollerskatez.

I think the guy is talking about security embadded to IBM's bios. It doesn't track anything. It's supposed to have security features like thumb print thingy to access your computer if you bought a device for it.

There are also programs that are also embadded to the hard drive that can track the laptop. IBM also sell this as a service for like $200.. But it's pointless you take out the hard drive and now what?

I think he is talking about the IBM security chip. It's used to lock your computer with a password at the BIOS level so even if it's stolen it's useless.

Back