I want to lap but how to get rid of paste?

Glow

Supreme [H]ardness
So yeah I want to lap my heatsink no idea if it will even make a difference but how do I get the paste off my processor and heatsink?

Originally posted by Glow
thats perfectly safe on a processor?
Yes. Just don't drink the stuff and everything will be fine ;)

what exactly is lapping the heatsink, i know you sand it down or something but cant that hurt the processor, and it will only help like 1-3 degrees, which isnt worth the risk.

You don't lap the processor dude, you lap the heatsink in an attempt to remove the uneveness and scratches that are found on them.

Originally posted by EnJoY
You don't lap the processor dude, you lap the heatsink in an attempt to remove the uneveness and scratches that are found on them.

Many intel users lap the IHS on their processors, and some AMD users (the crazier ones, IMO) smooth the wording/letters on their cores (palominos generally + older durons/athlons etc)

and if you're using acetone, please be careful as to what you spill it on... it'll melt lots of plastics :p

If your going to lap the ihs on a p-4 it would prove more worthy to take your time and remove the IHS

Originally posted by Cloud15x
If your going to lap the ihs on a p-4 it would prove more worthy to take your time and remove the IHS
agreed, but personally i'm not after every last degree (and this might sound blasphemous on a forum such as this one) but intel is pretty notorious for concave IHSs, and only the outer edge of the IHS makes true contact with the heat sink. I've had this happen on a TON of chips, but still, YMMV. I've lapped the intel chips just to wear down the corners so the middle of the IHS can contact the heatsink. Can't really say how many degrees it dropped though, i dont really pay all that much attention to things ;D

Originally posted by diredesire
agreed, but personally i'm not after every last degree (and this might sound blasphemous on a forum such as this one) but intel is pretty notorious for concave IHSs, and only the outer edge of the IHS makes true contact with the heat sink. I've had this happen on a TON of chips, but still, YMMV. I've lapped the intel chips just to wear down the corners so the middle of the IHS can contact the heatsink. Can't really say how many degrees it dropped though, i dont really pay all that much attention to things ;D
This is going to sound stupid but what is the IHS?

Back