I Need HelP!!

EliteForces

Limp Gawd
Ok i finally switched over to linux..but i need help..how do i mount my cd-rw and my second hard drive...please help me..all i see when i login is home, welcome, and trash....Also how do i login as system administrator?? i used the username root to login and it worked but a message came up saying that if i continiue i can damage my computer and nothing can stop me..

Root is system adminstrator I would not recommend you logging in and using Linux like that. Were you given an option to create a user during install? This is what you should be logging in as. If not you can create one. What Distro of Linux are you using i.e Fedora, Mandrake..etc...are you running Gnome, KDE or some other window manager?..

im logged in as a user..ok...my question is..

I have a Hard drive (a second one) with information on it..it was a back up drive on windows....i want to be able to view the two partitions (from windows) as they have data on it that i need...how can i view the information??

to mount a harddrive mount /dev/hdb probably.. i am not sure what your harddrive is labeled.. check your /etc/fstab to see if it is in there. if it is not.. do this mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/someFOLDERofYOURchoice again it may not hdb1 it could be hda2 or something. to mount a cdrom you just mount /dev/cdrom

you need to do this as root unless you have the permissions set in your fstab to let users mount..

how do i do it as root..is it just simply going to the terminal program then do su then the password?

ok ive done this...its in a folder but i have no access to it..says im not allowed....if i just want to read the files am i able to transfer them to my home directory..or just leave them there?

you have to su - to read it.. i am still working on getting ntfs partitions to be able to be read by users.. and yes read only can copy files.. or you can use mplayer to wine to play games or watch anime from that drive.. again as su

Back