i need help with bandwith monitoring

XLShadow

Weaksauce
i'm a college student and the lovely dorms provide me with a very sweet internet conection. Howerver, its is a mixed blessing they've setup a 1.5GB bandwith limit.

I've been looking (for quite some time now) a bandwith monitoring program. A quick search on google (a while ago) brought me to http://www.bandwidthmonitorpro.com/ and for a while i was happy.

It was just what i was looking for... for a while. The key features i liked was that it would disable my NIC once my set limit was reached. that and it would display numbers that i could understand ie MBs up and down. (call me a n00b or idiot, it still wont explain to me what a packet is...)

it turned bittersweet when it would hang my computer durning shutdown. i didn't notice this for a while because my computer never shuts down except for automatic self matinence (ie; virus update/scan, defrag... blah blah blah) I've since fixed this by tweeking windows to force the program to close during shutdown, but it still leaves me a bit unsettled. A program shouldn't be doing that.

then i noticed the amount of overhead the program takes up. (i'm a bit picky with my system resources. i run an alternate shell beacuse of this liteshell ) this is what prompted me (along with the 30day trial expiration) to uninstall the program and continue my search.

i dove into just about evey freeware link sites you can imagine. endless clicking and sifting from page to page finding nothing remotely close to what i want or need. Fed up with my fustration, i figured i'd give some fellow [H]-ers a call. I've read the networking FAQ and checked a few of the threads (the lovely search function is disabled, before that it was broken...) and now i am here.

thats my story. I need a bandwith monitor so i don't get my network privlages revoked. free would be nice, but i'll consider anything right now. something that'll sit silently in my system tray, and not eat up 8mb of ram while running (if that is unavoiable i need to know, just seems a bit high when my shell only takes 0.6MB and my file browers takes up the same when minimized) I like to toy with my slimftpd (ftp server), ultravnc (remote control), tinyweb (http server) and i also play games online (diablo 2, despite its age and my latest addiction Day of Defeat). I have one computer, with two NICs installed (100mbit for school internet and a 10mbit for when i'm at home for routing a cable modem, but thats disabled currently. both are PCI with intel chips. they've never given me any probs unlike some certin hardware that begins with a 'link' and ends with a 'sys') I'm running lovely windows 2000 pro, provided by my school.

oh sweet, DUmeter looks great... thanks guys

MRTG looks great too, but yea, masive overkill. I'll keep it saved for that rainy day when I decide to bull through a linux router project.

Thanks again.

Back