I just hit the power switch on my first build…

Hershy

Gawd
I spent a week building my first PC. I was convinced it wouldn’t power on (there must be at least 50 cables falling out the back) but surprisingly it turned on and posted.

I bought Windows 11 on a USB stick and managed to start the installation - but my pc wouldn’t connect to the internet. I circumvented this problem by installing windows in offline mode.

The installation is now finished, but I still can’t connect to the internet.

I see, in Device Manager, that there’s no WiFi adapter listed - it’s simply not there. Do I have to install this manually perhaps - if so, then how?

I have an Asus B650e-e motherboard, and I’ve already downloaded the WiFi driver, but there’s no device to update?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reactions: t1k
like this
check that its enable in bios like suggested and if it is just run the setup files. chances are if its in as an unknown device you wont recognize it.

Windows 11 did not install any of my network adapters like Windows 10 did. There are some threads here about the same topic.

I had to Install the wifi driver manually, then windows did it’s thing.

Last edited:
hard wire into your router for now and let windows download all the drivers you need?

hard wire into your router for now and let windows download all the drivers you need?
And leave it that way if it's workable. I pull cable to desktops. It's faster and more reliable. And no I'm not stuck at 1 gigabit, so no problems beating WiFi high end WiFi gear. All you need for that is 2.5Gb, which is very easily available and affordable. 2.5Gb is built in to an Asus Rog Strix Asus B650e-e mainboard. That's pretty standard these days. Only cheap mainboards have 1Gb ethernet. 1gig isn't just affordable at this point, it's dirt cheap. I'm running 10Gb, which actually isn't too bad these days cost wise but you need a free slot for a card or a Thunderbolt or USB-4 port.

I spent a week building my first PC. I was convinced it wouldn’t power on (there must be at least 50 cables falling out the back) but surprisingly it turned on and posted.

I bought Windows 11 on a USB stick and managed to start the installation - but my pc wouldn’t connect to the internet. I circumvented this problem by installing windows in offline mode.

The installation is now finished, but I still can’t connect to the internet.

I see, in Device Manager, that there’s no WiFi adapter listed - it’s simply not there. Do I have to install this manually perhaps - if so, then how?

I have an Asus B650e-e motherboard, and I’ve already downloaded the WiFi driver, but there’s no device to update?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
And congratulations on your first build! Ain't it great! Always that tingling sensation wondering if it will boot up--thankfully yours did. Sounds like mostly software problems.

I'd always have a terrible sinking feeling whenever I'd press the power button on a new build and nothing would happen.

Then I'd remember to flip the PSU rocker switch to | and everything would be ok again.

I'd always have a terrible sinking feeling whenever I'd press the power button on a new build and nothing would happen.

Then I'd remember to flip the PSU rocker switch to | and everything would be ok again.
I can't tell you how many times I've done that! You get that empty feeling deep down in your gut...oh shit. Whaddifugup...until the lightbulb goes on. Tadaa! The PSU rocker switch everytime 🤣😂

So what's up Hershy? Did ya get her all fingered out or what?

I can't tell you how many times I've done that! You get that empty feeling deep down in your gut...oh shit. Whaddifugup...until the lightbulb goes on. Tadaa! The PSU rocker switch everytime 🤣😂

So what's up Hershy? Did ya get her all fingered out or what?

Yes, I was able to connect to the internet simply by visiting ASUS’s webpage for the B650e-e motherboard and downloading the wifi driver onto a USB stick. Once on the internet everything just started updating on its own.

My parts: Corsair 5000d airflow, ASUS B650e-e motherboard, AMD 7800X3D, Corsair H150i Elite Capelix LCD AIO, 10 Corsair QL fans, 2tb Samsung 990 nvme, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, Corsair 1200 watt Shift psu, and a 4090.

To test the system I ran Cyberpunk and The Last of Us at max settings in 4K - this new pc just blows away my ‘old’ 3090/9900k setup. After ten minutes though, both games crashed to the desktop.

I then remembered that I hadn’t updated the bios.

The 7800X3D, it seems, was released quite a while after the manufacturing date of my motherboard. I’m assuming here that NOT updating the bios in such a circumstance (older motherboard, and a brand new CPU) is a big no-no? After updating the bios I appear not to be crashing anymore - but I need more time to test the system further.

Two thoughts.

One: holy hell does Cyberpunk ever look phenomenal maxed out at 4K with path tracing enabled. I’m averaging about 80 FPS with DLSS set to quality, and I can’t believe how good this game looks now, and how well it runs on the 4090. Kind of shocked, actually, at how much of a leap this is.

Two: The Last of Us… my god, my experience with this game on the new rig makes me feel like I’m playing a completely different game. I swear to god, I thought my 3090 was doing alright, but it really wasn’t. The difference between a stuttery 45-60 FPS and a smooth constantly-above 100 FPS is massive.

As far as my build is concerned, I followed a YouTube video minute by minute. It took me a week to finish and my only real slip-up happened when I turned on the power for the first time. Nothing happened, which was exactly what I had expected. I checked and re-checked the cables to no avail. Finally, after returning from a coffee break, I realized that although I had plugged the psu into the wall, I actually hadn’t turned the psu on.

When I turned the PSU on the case lighting came alive, the system posted, and I nearly passed out from the shock and surprise.

Yes, I was able to connect to the internet simply by visiting ASUS’s webpage for the B650e-e motherboard and downloading the wifi driver onto a USB stick. Once on the internet everything just started updating on its own.

My parts: Corsair 5000d airflow, ASUS B650e-e motherboard, AMD 7800X3D, Corsair H150i Elite Capelix LCD AIO, 10 Corsair QL fans, 2tb Samsung 990 nvme, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, Corsair 1200 watt Shift psu, and a 4090.

To test the system I ran Cyberpunk and The Last of Us at max settings in 4K - this new pc just blows away my ‘old’ 3090/9900k setup. After ten minutes though, both games crashed to the desktop.

I then remembered that I hadn’t updated the bios.

The 7800X3D, it seems, was released quite a while after the manufacturing date of my motherboard. I’m assuming here that NOT updating the bios in such a circumstance (older motherboard, and a brand new CPU) is a big no-no? After updating the bios I appear not to be crashing anymore - but I need more time to test the system further.

Two thoughts.

One: holy hell does Cyberpunk ever look phenomenal maxed out at 4K with path tracing enabled. I’m averaging about 80 FPS with DLSS set to quality, and I can’t believe how good this game looks now, and how well it runs on the 4090. Kind of shocked, actually, at how much of a leap this is.

Two: The Last of Us… my god, my experience with this game on the new rig makes me feel like I’m playing a completely different game. I swear to god, I thought my 3090 was doing alright, but it really wasn’t. The difference between a stuttery 45-60 FPS and a smooth constantly-above 100 FPS is massive.

As far as my build is concerned, I followed a YouTube video minute by minute. It took me a week to finish and my only real slip-up happened when I turned on the power for the first time. Nothing happened, which was exactly what I had expected. I checked and re-checked the cables to no avail. Finally, after returning from a coffee break, I realized that although I had plugged the psu into the wall, I actually hadn’t turned the psu on.

When I turned the PSU on the case lighting came alive, the system posted, and I nearly passed out from the shock and surprise.
Cool beans man ;)
Glad she's rockin along for you.
Hahaha, good ol PSU switch will getcha everytime!
Updating the bios would've been ideal prior to your first boot but your board came with one that supported the new x3ds anyhow so your golden. Now that you've updated to the latest bios you should be gtg. Be sure to check your voltages and game away!

Edit- I just built a wced rig in the 5000d Air. It's a really solid case.

Cool beans man ;)
Glad she's rockin along for you.
Hahaha, good ol PSU switch will getcha everytime!
Updating the bios would've been ideal prior to your first boot but your board came with one that supported the new x3ds anyhow so your golden. Now that you've updated to the latest bios you should be gtg. Be sure to check your voltages and game away!

Edit- I just built a wced rig in the 5000d Air. It's a really solid case.
Thank you!

Nice job. Enjoy the new PC! Nice part picks. I love Corsair PSUs and a lot of other stuff they make. Their keyboards are amazing too (though I think I still prefer Logitech mice).

You will have less and less anxiety the more times you do it. And then the idea of buying a prebuilt machine will just seem absurd.

You'll also get a lot quicker. I swear I can really throw a new air-cooled build together in under an hour, as long as I have everything on hand. And do a good job too.

Software install and setup can take a little while longer, depending on OS. Windows is kind of cancer to setup :vomit:, but works well once everything is configured the way I like it.

Nice job. Enjoy the new PC! Nice part picks. I love Corsair PSUs and a lot of other stuff they make. Their keyboards are amazing too (though I think I still prefer Logitech mice).

You will have less and less anxiety the more times you do it. And then the idea of buying a prebuilt machine will just seem absurd.

You'll also get a lot quicker. I swear I can really throw a new air-cooled build together in under an hour, as long as I have everything on hand. And do a good job too.

Software install and setup can take a little while longer, depending on OS. Windows is kind of cancer to setup :vomit:, but works well once everything is configured the way I like it.
Yes to everything.

At one point there were dozens and dozens of cables and wires dangling from the back of my case - but surprisingly I found that I was able to identify each and every one.

And, yes, now that I’ve done this, the anxiety has evaporated. I’m already looking forward to my next build. Typically I’ve always purchased pre-builts, and installed new GPUs as they were introduced to market. But now, because I know how to install a motherboard and CPU, I can do an entire platform upgrade if I feel the need.

I agree that buying a pre-built now seems absurd. Great for those who have money to burn - but I don’t. Also, if some little thing goes wrong… then I can fix it myself.

I saved over one thousand dollars building this pc myself. Origin PC, of course, would’ve used exactly the same parts, so it was ‘interesting’ to see what the markup was. With that extra money I decided to buy a Corsair K100 air keyboard, a wireless gaming mouse, and an extra 2tb Samsung 990 m.2 drive.

Also, Origin PC wasn’t offering sleeved cables - but Corsair has the type 5 cables at its store, so I went ahead and bought them. I never would have done that had I purchased a PC from Origin.

Anyway, to those of you who have doubts or anxieties about building your own pc - trust me, if I can do it, then you can do it!

Back