I got my G1 yesterday

Ahh yes, the bar code scanning! It's works well. The app I use right now which I think is the best one is called "shop savvy" and it's doesn't take a picture per say, but the camera is just on and there's a video capture window which shows the camera's view and it's got a green line on the screen which you line up across the bar code in the video window, then when it comes into focus and the code is read correctly (which happens very fast, I was impressed) it beeps and then immediately starts the search for the product and gives you results in seconds.. both online shops and local shops.. cool shit man. :)

BTW, I got my screen patronus today and it's pretty nice..

g1-pat1.jpg

g1-pat2.jpg

you can see it's just a tag crooked on the lower right.. gah! oh well.. I was so happy I got it on dust free that I don't care about that much.. you can only tell if you really examine it close up.. but the touch screen is totally the same, I can't even tell it's there. sweet!

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Screen-Protec...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
found this site today.. it shows how you can do a manual update baseband firmware to RC29..

http://www.android-unleashed.com/

I got my update last night though so I have not done the manual way.. some people say they have had trouble with it and "bricking" the phone... this makes me very leery of doing the update that way, but ymmv... as long as the source update file is good and you follow the directions it should work.

well i just got my g1 today...and its definatly sick..i think its the best ive had. even better then the iphone in some aspects.

There's a new video player on the AMP (Android Market Place) and it's nicer than the first one. it's called "PlaysVideo" and it plays all of my mp4 movies plus has a built in queuing feature so you can pick up where you left off in the movie if you get interrupted... aside from that the video playback quality is smoother and images seem to be sharper.. anyways, it's not perfect but it gets the job done and is an improvement on the first video player to hit the AMP.

drools!! too bad its not on AT&T yet :rolleyes: oh well.. just hope that there will be a android phone coming out for AT&T soon :) and i will be getting it in a heart beat :)

A bit cheap IMO...

I'm thinking of waiting about another year for some decent HARDWARE to come out. I think Android itself is fantastic, but this G1 phone seems to be like a preschool toy IMO...

Give me the iPhone+Slideout Keyboard+Blackberry Thunder "Click" Screen+ Android = Best phone on earth.

Thanks revenant for this post as it was very timely for me! I was really looking for a new phone and after reading through this thread, this fits my needs perfectly. I picked one up last night and I really, really like it! :)

nice... I am glad it helped!

yeah, I love having my portable gmail and browser handy at all times.. I kind of had that with the 2G iphone, but I like the G1 better in many ways.. I am going to write up a one month report here soon. I still like the device... my largest gripe has to be app storage space and battery life... but on a 3G device you just need a powerful battery, so I am waiting on the 1600mah one from fommy.com now.. should be in 11/24... as for the storage space, I think it's pretty silly google has not come out with a way to store apps on the sd card without hacking the device.. other than that I am very happy with it.

Back