HT CPU/Non HT Mobo?

CaptCanada

Weaksauce
Hi all

I have an Intel 2.4B proc and an MSI 648 Max L mobo that doesn't support HT. I would like to know if I install a 3.06 HT cpu, would everything but the HT support for the proc work? Would it be a waste of money to get this cpu and should I just go with the fastest non HT cpu I can find?

Thanks

The "B" series....are we talking about the 533MHz FSB series?

The only processor to run at 3.06GHz is a 533MHz P4, no HT. That's why i'm confused about your entire statement.

Sorry for the confusion. I have a 2.4B proc and my mobo is a 533fsb board, non HT. I saw somewhere that there is a 3.06 533HT proc for sale and wondered if it would be worth getting since my mobo is nonHT or just get the fastest nonHT cpu?

Thanks

The only HT cpu is the 800MHz FSB. The person selling this 533FSB cpu is horribly incorrect.

Actually, you're partially correct. The 3.06GHz P4 is the only 533MHz FSB P4 that supports HT at all. None of the other 533MHz P4's support HT.

However, you'll need a motherboard that either uses an Intel core-logic chipset (some mobos that use the i850E, i845PE or i845E chipsets) or officially supports an 800MHz FSB in order to even enable HT support. SiS and Via chipsets that lack 800MHz FSB support don't support HT at all.

Thus, in your case (SiS 648 chipset), the 3.06GHz P4 will work - but with HT disabled.

By god you're right man! Thanks, that's something I didn't know!!!! You made my day! :D

Really!

Anyway, yeah, it should work fine mate! I wub MSI!

powerleap makes an adapter to make HT work on non-HT boards.

I have owned a 3.06 533MHz FSB HT processor and they do support HT. Now I have to disagree with the statment that non 800MHz FSB chipsets from SIS don't support HT. A freind of mine has some crappy ECS board with the above mentioned chip and it does infact work with HT. I cna get the model number if needed.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Now I have to disagree with the statment that non 800MHz FSB chipsets from SIS don't support HT.
Make that many motherboards that use non-800MHz FSB chipsets from SiS still don't support HT - because they have never updated their BIOSes to add such support.

That said, some SiS-chipset-based P4 mobos that lack 800MHz FSB support do support HT with the latest BIOS version.

Yes that would be correct. As I understood it, the implimentation was more of a BIOS thing than anything else.

Back