HPTC Experts advice needed

groebuck

2[H]4U
So I got me a brand new Panasonic 50" LCD prjector TV - it has two RGB inputs and one DVI - I am in the middle of deciding if I should get a progressive scan DVD player (harmon Kardon).

But - I have a ATI All in Wonder 9700 Pro and the TV will let me connect up my DVI from PC to TV..If I go that route I am going Digital to Digital - so here is my question - If I use a DVD ROM drive and player - am I sending pure 480P to the set via DVI and can I "use" the computer as a sort of upscaler since it is esentially a montior running at 1080i to upscale my movie to 1080i?

I know the Samsung H931 has DVI and a farojdoa (I am sure I am not spelling that right) to upscale dvd to 720p/1080i - can I do something similar with my setup?

Basically yes and yes. For more indepth information you may want to look at the FAQ for powerstrip timings and FFDshow settings. My HTPC easily beats any set top player I have seen in video quality and I work for a custom home installation company.

the native resolution on my Pansonic is 720p - so I am guessing if I run my ATI through it via DVI - I can set it to 720P resolution and use the dvd player - guess I can test all this for myself ;) - thanks for the info though!

Thats the basic idea. If you really want to get the advantage of upscaling you will deffinately want to hit up the AVSforums HTPC forum for the FFDShow thread. Using resize to scale the video the 1440x960 made a huge improvement on my HDTV.

Back