How to setup SATA correctly?

W.O.T. Stang

Limp Gawd
I only have an ATA-100 capable drive, but I was going to give sata a try just to see how it works on my nf7-s.

So i plug in the convertor, the power cable for it, and the sata cable to 'sata1" on the board.

I make sure SATA is enabled in the BIOS, and save settings. It gets to the sata BIOS, and says to press ctrl-s or F4, and I tried both keys about 4 different times on each restart, and it just acts like i never pressed the keys, and then says it can find no disks, and then proceeds to the regular old "insert boot disk" message.

Do you have to start using sata on a brand new format, or is it possible to use it after Windows has already been installed, like i'm trying to do.

FWIW, it's a 60gb desk(death)star that supports ATA100, so it should work. Is SATA only for RAID setups? or can it be used by an independant drive too?

Just wondered what I did wrong. :confused:

I built a new system yesterday..plugged my only SATA HD in the serial "0" slot...I though that was the right slot if you only have one.

(if not can I just plug it into the "1" slot now without reinstalling anything?)

The NF7-S's raid SATA controller is a raid only solution, unless I'm mistaken. You'd have to have another drive, and reformat to try out SATA. I'm not sure why it won't let you into the SATA Raid bios when you push f4. It works exatly like that on my DFI and it works fine. I've never tried the alt-s option. And yeah, if you don't have the sata bios set up right, it will never detect a disk. I've got a pair of 160 gig WD's in raid-0 running through adapters into the SATA on my lanparty. For what its worth, the only real benefit I can tell is the smaller wires are nice.

you are mistaken, you can use a single SATA drive with the NF7-S.

You were just trying to help, I was just correcting you so there wouldn't be any misunderstandings:)

Later,
Eli

Originally posted by eli
you are mistaken, you can use a single SATA drive with the NF7-S.

Are you saying that if I want to use SATA on the NF7-S I need to use two of them. RAID is not necessary for me.

you dont have to use two drives. you can use one, or two, or a RAID of two.

Back