how to rip dvd's to hd easily with ac3 sound?

bpimmerman

[H]ard|Gawd
The title says it all...

Basically I want to be able to put all of my dvd's onto my hard drive, in a good quality and with the dolby digital ac3 sound. My goal would be to achieve around a 1gig per movie ratio, but I would be fine if it was more. Divx for me has always been good quality, I have just never found an easy way to do it with the good sound. suggestions?

1 gig per movie... hmmm most dvd rips I see are around 4.5gb..

It makes more sense to do 800mb so fits nicely on a CD? Or if you're burning onto dvd's then do like 4.5Gb/4 or something so you can fit 4 on a disc... It's not that hard, suggest using the usual resources like dvdrhelp.com and doom9.org :)

I like to use AutoGK and DVD decrypter I think you could output with AC3 by using an AC3 codecs, don't know because I haven't thought to use it yet.

There is a nifty DVD ripping all in one program called Fair Use, it will rip into XVID or DIVX with or without AC3 sound (you can also have mp3 or others). Give it a try and see if you like it. get it here: http://fairuse.free.fr/lang_en/

Hope that helps.

***** I just found out that they are now charging you to download this, it is still worth the cost, but I thought that I should warn you.

thanks, i have been out of town but I am going to give this a try this weekend and I'll let you guys know what works the best. Thanks for all of the suggestions

go to doom9.org check out the guides. I use guardian knot tools, once set up (about 1hr+) the things a snap. I rip movies to 2x700mb in case I want to burn to cds. The quality is very acceptable. However I do capture mp3 audio...sorry not sure about ac3 but I believe it is an option. I think the ac3 stream is usually around 700mb by its self.
d

DruSi3r said:
I think the ac3 stream is usually around 700mb by its self.
d

DTS might be... AC3 is certainly not. AC3 is at 384-448kbps, around ~100MB for a feature-length film.

I've been ripping to DivX + AC3 for a while now, movies average 1.5GB, and the quality is fine, even blown up to 9' on an XGA projector.

On most of my DVDs, the bitrate for AC3 tends to be around 256-384kbps. IMHO AAC and other codecs such as Vorbis or MP3 perform better than AC3 at bitrates suitable for DVD rips (64kbps-192kbps, stereo). I honestly dont know how big the ac3 stream is...in wav its probabely 1gb in mp3 its probabely 100mb, but i dont know i dont engage in such scandoulous activities...

just to clear up a few things....ac3 is a codec, as far as i know. it requires a hardware/software decoder, which for my purposes is in my home theatre receiver. It contains the dolby-digital sound encoding. It's also a 5.1 channel surround format, whereas mp3 is only stereo. It's not all that much larger than the mp3 format, i'm ripping dvd's to 799 megs, and the quality of both sound and video is perfect for me.

Fair Use is by far the easiest method i have seen, well worth the 2 dollars. Thanks for all the help.

Back